Skyving colleague is driving me mad.

H

Hawthorn

I work in a clearing department of a well known bank where one of the female staff spends most of the day laughing and joking and gossiping and not doing her work. Then swans off to make personal phone calls, comes in late, takes long lunchours. This person can disappear during the day for 20 minutes at a time. Her job normally is completed by one person but what is happening is that other people who have worked hard during the day are asked to step in and help her, because if she does not finish her job we cannot move on to the next part of our job.
The problem is, is that she is liked by management and each year gets her 3 in her appraisal whereas other colleagues who work twice as hard as her also are getting a 3. How should I start dealing with this?

Start by not doing her job for her. Period.

As soon as management start looking into why you can't move on they'll realise where the kink in the chain is.

Have you spoken to the girl herself? Or to her supervisor?

loafing

you are lucky that she is she's not cyber loafing as well like this mob :rollin

Normal activity :

"spends most of the day laughing and joking and gossiping and not doing her work. Then swans off to make personal phone calls, comes in late, takes long lunchours. This person can disappear during the day for 20 minutes at a time"

This is very common - do not be concerned.

In fact I would expect she posts on AAM saying how she hates her job etc. etc. etc.

Towards the end of the 2k boom this type got serious promotion & then recruited others of like mind. Most of them were moved on in the following bust

If you look around I'm sure you will find another female who more than makes up for this one

P.S. This also applies to the male of the species

As suggested, stop covering for her and encourage anyone else who's piddled off with her to do likewise.

If her immediate managers are prepared to tolerate this behaviour, you risk making a nuisance of yourself if you raise it as an issue. However, if the feeling is sufficently widespread, you could perhaps approach your manager as a group.

I'm surprised more of your colleagues haven't succumbed to this behaviour if they could get away with it.

Cheques

Last week the following happened. My shift ends at 5 o'clock in the afternoon but generally we don't go home until the days work is finished. I had done a hard days work and my work was more or less finished at 4.45 p.m. I looked across at this individuals desk. It was in a mess with cheques everywhere. There was about a half hours work for her to do. I reluctantly decided to help her out. At exactly 5 o'clock she stood up and said that she was heading home, leaving me to finish her work of approx another 15 minutes. With that I stood up and said that I was heading home as well and walked off in front of her, not looking back. I don't know who finished her work but I didn't. The trouble is that I will probably be blamed for "walking off".
I don't wish to approach her other colleagues and talk about her behind her back as this will be seen as bullying.

Re: Cheques

I looked across at this individuals desk. It was in a mess with cheques everywhere. There was about a half hours work for her to do. I reluctantly decided to help her out

There's your problem right there. Stop doing that.

It would be different if she was the type of individual who would return the favour.

She might soon realise this way (without any confrontation of any kind necessary) that she has to do her own work or she will face the consequences of having to explain why the work wasn't done to her superiors.

Agreed.

I mean, with respect, where's the logic in helping her out one minute and giving out about her in another forum?

I can only get an appointment on work days..my This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language.

The latest thing is that this person who works part time 3 days one week and two days the next is now taking half days to visit her doctor/dentist. But the days that she is arranging this are her workdays not her free days. As this is a visit to a doctor it is not taken from her annual leave. Her skyving knows no ends.

Back