Sky Q drops internet connection

Frank

Hi

Got Sky Q maybe 18 months ago.
1 main box 2 mini's
Initially had the booster in the middle.
BB is Virgin 250 plenty for us.

After months of dropping internet connection I got a couple of netgear network over powerlines
Use one for my work laptop and a few more to connect all SKy boxes to router.
Meant I could get rid of the booster.
Since the connection has improved a lot, but I still get the internet not connected on a regular basis.
Power cycle of the box always fixes it.
Although if you leave it they will recover too.
Other devices can stay connected. no problem over wifi

Anyone have similar experience and or solution.

I have a similar experience but no solution.

My thought is that it's something to do with the internet being virgin rather than sky. I previously had sky broadband and never had this issue.

Wouldn't be shocked, don't have an option of Sky BB, if it is true then annoying.
Waiting for Fibre to roll in, the claim of 80 meg being superfast doesn't wash with me.

Can you try this;

1. Enter into the "Installer Menu" (Home,scroll down to Settings (do not press enter but press 001 and then press enter)

2. When in Installer menu select Network and then down to "5GHz WiFi Channel width",this setting is normally set to 80MHz/ch.36, change this to 40MHz/ ch.44 and then press confirm.

3. You will need to do this on all of your Sky Q boxes then reboot both boxes.

The original post is confusing.

It mentions "internet connection" dropping and powerline adapters helping to ameliorate the problem.
But that sounds like an internal/local wifi issue and nothing to do with the internet connection (from the Virgin router to the outside world)?

The purpose/function of the "booster" mentioned is also unclear.

Basically, the problem is not clear (to me at least) so any solutions suggested may or may not be relevant.

Initially sky q plus 2 minis in the house on wifi
Sky booster required as they would not connect otherwise
Internet connection lost on sky boxes so no netflix youtube etc.

Changed to the power adaptors to effectively change to wired network
This allowed the booster to go
Seemed a little better but still dropping internet.

Virgin works with other devices so not my BB

Judging by searches this is just down to the sky boxes.

Had the same problem several times a month until I changed to fibre (SIRO) . Internet working in the house but Sky Q box needed reset every time. Hasn't happened since I changed to fibre. It was very noticeable that internet speed in general would drop at times in the house particularly when schools were finished. Perhaps too many people logging on at once. Also the house alarm was connected to the same phone lines and apparently this could also cause an issue with the Sky Q box.

We have three sky Q mini boxes. All of them dropping the connection. Initially it was just two.
A Sky engineer came and asked had we had a power cut which the answer was yes. He said that can have a devastating effect on them. He replaced the two that initially weren’t working. We then coincidently had another power cut and the third one has problems connecting. A second sky engineer came and replaced that one and coincidently asked us exactly the same question had we a power cut. It seems they are extremely sensitive to glitches in the power supply.

Back