Sky news and sexism

'discrimination should not happen in our game at all, prehistoric views if you think otherwise' was what he actually said, would you not agree with him??

Never said I did disagree, what I pointed out is that he isn't exactly one to claim a moral high ground on the issue. Unless I really am out of touch and such examples are considered part of the contemporary view and are perfectly acceptable to him.

Never said I did disagree, what I pointed out is that he isn't exactly one to claim a moral high ground on the issue. Unless I really am out of touch and such examples are considered part of the contemporary view and are perfectly acceptable to him.

Yeah, there is something wrong when people like Stan Collymore are coming out defending women's rights. To be honest, they just came across as sad old men.

Holy political correctness Batman. Gray was stitched up. Most people (even soccer fans) don't know the offside rule. I thought this was funny, but perhaps I'm just sexist.
He clearly did that just to get a few brownie points.
Had Gray said that he'd probably be accused of racism.

Maybe Jeremy Clarkson could get them a job on Top Gear. Now that is so macho!!

Holy political correctness Batman. Gray was stitched up. Most people (even soccer fans) don't know the offside rule. I thought this was funny, but perhaps I'm just sexist.Had Gray said that he'd probably be accused of racism.

It wasnt the worse thing in the world and is another example of media hysteria but they just sounded idiotic. If they had done it in a humorous way, they would have got away with it but they just came across as pitiful. Still wouldn't have sacked them though. Would have made them cover womens soccer for a year!

Tending to agree with the Banker in his post regarding the context here. Also the news of the world and it's fellow rags with their photo of a paedophile on the front page with the headline "Caged Beast" or similar followed by their ads on the back pages for sex lines headed "Barely legal" tell you all you need to know about their firmly held principled view points.

However, I get sick of the sexist crap too. Off hand throwaway remarks may be commonplace and these particular ones may be unlucky in that they were reported but they happen. All the time. Slag people off on their ability or shortcomings but the gender thing ... surely we should be past that.

A.

That's an excellent post from The Banker

Not the first to say it but it's explained very well and makes a lot of sense

At the end of the day, who really cares!

We have got rid of 2 of the most irritating TV folk in the world of football. Unfortunately Sky will probably now promote someone like Jamie Redknapp. Blander than bland.

Big money move for Lineker?

Apparently sky used to get in freelance make up artists for their show as regular staff didn't want to work with them
There is a difference between male/female banter and the way these guys behaved.
Maybe it suited sky to get rid of them but good riddance

Nice post Banker, banter is banter until somebody deliberately accepts the banter as sexism. You cannot say much nowadays without offending somebody who wants to be offended.

But, the "hurt" is felt by the receiver whose feelings are taken as gospel in such cases. Andy Gray stated that he was "stitched up" and somebody somewhere will make a few bob out of this. Money was made round to go around and like it or not the predator has become the victim.

Having said the above, I can't stand Mr Gray.

That's very funny RMCF. Don't find Michaelm one funny, don't see the joke but I'm not 'offended'. Coincidentally I've been doing the sticks and stones rhyme for my eldest recently over something that happened at school. I don't want a world where we can't say anything ever for fear of upsetting someone.

The two guys on SKY who have never been seen by me before :eek: despite being married to a soccer mad man, apologised to the lady in question and she accepted their apology so that really should be the end of it. It wouldn't be anything remotely awful compared to what she's probably hearing from the terraces. Why dont' Sky investigate that.

Sky it seems to me wanted the guys sacked, otherwise Sky would have not broadcast anything and would have sacked the people who leaked it. So I hope the guy wins his unfair dismissal case.

Also I'm wondering why other news media are not picking up on Sky's motives.

Giving a view that discrimination in sport is bad is hardly taking the high ground, merely stating the obvious. Music can be interpreted in many ways and what he promotes is part of an accepted industry and there is great demand for it. I'm not aware of any homophobia promoted by him.

Nice post Banker, banter is banter until somebody deliberately accepts the banter as sexism. You cannot say much nowadays without offending somebody who wants to be offended.

But, the "hurt" is felt by the receiver whose feelings are taken as gospel in such cases. Andy Gray stated that he was "stitched up" and somebody somewhere will make a few bob out of this. Money was made round to go around and like it or not the predator has become the victim.

Having said the above, I can't stand Mr Gray.

Ok , if someone lacks the social skills or empathy to distinguish between what a female work colleague would consider banter and what is likely to cause embarrassment ,discomfort or offense ,then my advice is
IF IN DOUBT LEAVE IT OUT

Some of the comments on this thread are really surprising me
Do people really think for Gray to point to his crotch and ask his female colleague to Tuck it in here , is acceptable behavior at work

In your social life you can choose who you have to associate with , in your work life you often can't. That femeale presenter should not have had to put up with that from Gray

In your social life you can choose who you have to associate with , in your work life you often can't. That femeale presenter should not have had to put up with that from Gray

No but she could have complained if it was a problem. If every bit of inappropriate office conversation was printed or shown on tv, there would be no room for any other stories. I don't think anyone is defending the idiots but the fact remains that it is odd that these clips were suddenly released into the national media. It does like someone was waiting for a chance to take them down. They are no loss to tv but they will be back in work in 6 months.

Giving a view that discrimination in sport is bad is hardly taking the high ground, merely stating the obvious. Music can be interpreted in many ways and what he promotes is part of an accepted industry and there is great demand for it. I'm not aware of any homophobia promoted by him.

Of course he is, he's taking a stance that the views of Gray and Keys was prehistoric and the implication being that his views are more open and progressive.

Music can be interpreted in many ways if it is indeed deliberately vague or allegorical. However, aspects of modern R&B and rap are neither vague or allegorical and are overtly sexist and homophobic. Even at a minimum the endemic culture of treating women as sexual objects in that genre is in my opinion far more odious than questioning a woman's ability to run the line effectively.

In addition, there are at least three incidents where Rio has engaged in "roasting" and you can hardly suggest that this is a positive attitude to women as equals.

It's all well and good stating sexism has no place in sport when it would appear that you are part of the culture promulgating and continuing the sexist culture.

In addition, there are at least three incidents where Rio has engaged in "roasting" and you can hardly suggest that this is a positive attitude to women as equals.

I think this is a bit of red herring. As long as it concerns willing participants I don't think it should be regarded as a reflection of anything other than a high sex drive or a degree of exhibitionism.

I think this is a bit of red herring. As long as it concerns willing participants I don't think it should be regarded as a reflection of anything other than a high sex drive or a degree of exhibitionism.

Much like Wayne Rooney then? And sure the wife doesn't mind.

Oh he's married then?

:) My bad.

I shouldn't comment about sportspeople at all really as I know very little about this world of morons, thugs and adulterers.

Back