Sky Multi-room - Landline Query

Cantona

Hi,

Can anyone tell if its possible to get sky multi-room without having a landline? I know that sky tell you that you need a landline just to get the basic package in (but obviously you dont as I had a friend who use to work for them install my dish without me having a landline).

I'm just thinking of getting the multi-room in and wondering does anyone have it that doesn't have a landline in their house ?

I had Sky engineers out on two occasions but as I do not have a standard Eircom landline I was told that my house "was not compatable" for Sky Plus or Multi-Room.

You must have a landline for Sky Multiroom as you are effectively getting a second Sky subscription for a much reduced price. To police this, Sky 'calls' the box regularly to ensure that the subscribed box is where it should be. Sky can get quite bolshy if it repeatedly finds an unconnected box. No way round it I'm afraid.

Incidentally, you don't need a landline for Sky+. You can ask for a manual install (for an additional €37) and the box won't be connected to a phoneline.

Cheers for the replies gents. Frustrating to hear because I have no need for a landline in the house what so ever so cant see the point in paying €40 every 2 months for effectively nothing. Cant understand why they are so insistant upon it.

Again I know Sky say you have to have a landline to have any connection with them (when you clearly dont) so if theres anyone out there who has got around this "problem" in relation to Multi-room I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

Mr Cantona

TallPaul had it just right.
I know from the experience of friends that:
a) They won't install multi-room without a phone line
b) They WILL hassle you if you later disconnect one of the boxes.

The phone line "ping" is the only way they have to know the box(es) are still at the same address.
It's either worth it to you, or it's not.

If you were only planning having it in 1 more room, maybe a signal sender would do? There's loads on the market.

Thanks for the reply Jock04.

I was just hoping that someone would be able to point me in the right direction of how to get around this as I've had the Sky in one room for 3 years now without a landline and its never been a problem.

I was hoping to get it installed in 2 other rooms in the house but looks like its not gonna happen as I refuse to fork out €40 for nothing, every two months.

Cheers.

I was just hoping that someone would be able to point me in the right direction of how to get around this as I've had the Sky in one room for 3 years now without a landline and its never been a problem.

Just won't happen so, they don't enforce the line check for single subscriptions as they do for plus or multiroom.

Just to say - Sky WILL install Sky+ without a phone line, and as said above, charge you 37 euro over & above any other fees.
Mate of mine just ordered sky+ without a phone line, costing him the standard 45 for installation as a new customer, plus the 37 extra for no phone line.

As far as I'm aware, there's no way round the multi-room requirement for a phone line - and they DO check periodically that it's still connected........so no running a temporary extension from next door's landline!

Yeah, have to agree; I received a letter once from Sky telling me to plug the phone line in. But apparently once the 12 month minimum subscription expires, you no longer need to keep the phone line plugged in (don't quote me on that though)

i would ring a local sky installer (plenty in yellow pages) and explain your pridiciment. i'm sure a work around could be reached.

Sorry to piggy back here.

I have Sky+ but it's not connected to the landline, but I do have a landline in the house. I would like to eventually get rid of the landline altogether but every couple of months I get a message telling me to connect to the telephone line to update. How do I get around this problem if I get rid of the landline?

Cheers

wonder is there such a thing as an adapter do da that you could plug the sky box phone cable into and then put the other end of the adapter into your mobile phone and use this instead of a fixed line if you know what I mean.

Just to add that I have sky mulitroom installed without a phone line. I rang the local sky installation service in Co. Limerick and I was charged an extra 45 euro as it was a "Non-Standard" installation.

Just to add that I have sky mulitroom installed without a phone line. I rang the local sky installation service in Co. Limerick and I was charged an extra 45 euro as it was a "Non-Standard" installation.

Hi Djsim

Is this sky multroom with two seperate sky boxes, and 2 seperate cards ? And how much extra subscription are sky charging you ? Surprised you can do this, how long do you have it in place ?

Thanks,
Wexfordman

I have it in place for about 2 months now, 2 seperate cards annd costs €15 extra a month. I rang the main sky number and said thats a no no (they said the same thing when I was installed sky intally, for the first time without a landline). I then rang a small local crowd and they said that they did it before and that it is not a problem.

It is working away grand. Hope this helps.

I have it in place for about 2 months now, 2 seperate cards annd costs €15 extra a month. I rang the main sky number and said thats a no no (they said the same thing when I was installed sky intally, for the first time without a landline). I then rang a small local crowd and they said that they did it before and that it is not a problem.

It is working away grand. Hope this helps.

You'll be getting a nasty letter from sky in the month or so.....

It will be more than letters. We ignored the letters and they started deducting two full premiums per month rather than the reduced second box rate and refused to give a refund for prior bills when we plugged in the phone line.

Back