Sky free channels

when you are setting up the dish, I did it last weekend. Just mounted it and pointed it roughly towards the sun at 11am

I had someone at the TV watching the Signal strength and when I got it as best I could I started tilting upwards a few degrees and got all the fta channels. it was a lot easier than I expected and all without the need of a sat finder

Tried again & it does seem to work. I get BBC & a lot of the English channels but lose out on Documentaries plus all of the Irish channels.

Unfortunately most of what we watch in my house are the ones that you lose.

I saw somewhere that if you buy the new FTA box that you can use it with your Sky dish. Can you then get all the Sky channels ? I'm sort of addicted to my interactive news where I can flick to what I want !

Tried again. I do get BBC & a lot of the English channels but lose out on Documentaries plus all of the Irish channels.

am I doing something wrong or this to be expected ?

that's correct, the irish and documentaries all need a card...

Thanks a million.
If the recession bites a bit more I might be happy to settle for less stations and at least I know I have the option.

Just a follow-up to Perplexed's original question:
When I remove the card from the Skybox I can still get, say, BBC 1 NI and Channel 4 etc. in the usual way.

But CBeebies, which we access via the "Other Channels" option under Services, is no longer accessible - when I click on "Other Channels" I get the "Please insert your Sky viewing card" screen.

Is there a channel number for CBeebies (and the other "Other Channels")? Or how do we get around this?

Just a follow-up to Perplexed's original question:
When I remove the card from the Skybox I can still get, say, BBC 1 NI and Channel 4 etc. in the usual way.

But CBeebies, which we access via the "Other Channels" option under Services, is no longer accessible - when I click on "Other Channels" I get the "Please insert your Sky viewing card" screen.

Is there a channel number for CBeebies (and the other "Other Channels")? Or how do we get around this?

If you intend to use the box without a card long term its handier if you put the UK epg on it. CBeebies etc will then appear on the epg.

Thank you silvermints.

You're welcome. If my memory serves me correctly your problem with other channels is a parental control issue. I think if you have it enabled you cant get other channels with the card out. I'm open to correction on this.

Similar experience here.They want to be your friend and
will not let you go.You pay for the privilege of talking to
these scottish people wh oonly care about losing a
customer for Rupert.Blood pressure time:mad:

and rightly so ;)

I take it that if in a years time I wish to re-subscribe, the installation fee's etc are not necessary right? Just a matter of getting the card re-enabled or something I guess?

I take it that if in a years time I wish to re-subscribe, the installation fee's etc are not necessary right? Just a matter of getting the card re-enabled or something I guess?

No install fee for a new sub unless you need a new box and dish.

Last month I got Channel 4 and Channel 5 (channel 6335) on the FTA through my sky box-However its been painful in that I can only seem to get them by pressing "Services" and then "Other Channels". I'd like them under "Entertainment" like the BBCs, ITCs, etc...can anybody help me with this??

Last month I got Channel 4 and Channel 5 (channel 6335) on the FTA through my sky box-However its been painful in that I can only seem to get them by pressing "Services" and then "Other Channels". I'd like them under "Entertainment" like the BBCs, ITCs, etc...can anybody help me with this??

Do you have an irish sky card, or just using it for FTA ?

Can't be done. Those free channels are not available to go onto the Electronic Programming Guide (EPG) with Irish Sky boxes.
May work with a Freesat box though.

Just using it for FTA. I have an old sky card I dont use. What do you suggest to do if i try wirth the sky card?

Put in the card upside down (so the chip is on the wrong side). Turn box off for 15 minutes and turn on again.

Come back if that doesn't work.

Perplexed,

You are not scrolling down far enough.

The first three or four pages are not available.

BBC 1 is the first channel available. Also check Sky News.

Back