Sky free channels

H

hughowen

Hi,
I am currently thinking of getting rid of my Sky Ireland subscription and moving to Terrestial signal for a while. I am wondering when I tell Sky to cancel my subscription what channels I will be left with to watch on the Skybox as freetoair channels.
I know that I won't get RTE, Network2 etc., but will I be able to receive the BBC and some of the Discovery channels?
Does anyone have a list of the channels I can get in Ireland free from Skybox without subscription?

Thanks Hugh

BBC 1, 2 ,3 , 4 , CBBIES (sp?) , BBC News 24
ITV 1 ,2 ,3 & 4
Channel 4
More 4
E4
Film 4
Sky News

and heaps of crud....

Heres a list and link

[broken link removed]

Free to Air Satellite TV Channels (ENG)
Basic Channels:
BBC1 BBC2
BBC3 BBC4
UTV STV
ITV ITV2 & +1
ITV3
Channel 4
E4 ITV4
More4
News Channels:
Sky News BBC News 24
CNN Euronews
Aljazeera Bloomberg
France 24 DD News
Kids Channels:
CBBC CBeebies
POP & +1 TINY POP & +!
CITV POP GIRL
Film:
True Movies True Movies 2
Movies4men Actionmax
Movies4men2 FILM 4 +1
Zone Horror Film 24
Music:
Chart Show The Vault
B4 Classic FM TV
Channel U Fizz
Musicians Channel Performance Channel
Flaunt Minx
Bliss Scuzz
Chart Show TV Rock World TV
Sport:
On TV Golf Channel
Channel 425 TWC
Sport Nation
Miscellaneous:
Men and Motors Zone Thriller
Zone Romantica Zone Reality X
Zone Reality & +1 Life TV
YOU TV Travel TV
Hollywood TV Majestic TV
Bonanza London TV
Real Estate TV Wine TV
Information TV Passion TV
Raj TV Baby Channel
Rapture TV Propeller
Ben OBE
Fashion TV
AND MANY MORE...........
Radio Channels:
RTE 1 RTE 2
RTE Europe RTE RNAG
BBC Radio 1 BBC Radio 2
BBC Radio 4 BBC Radio 5
BBC 5 L Sport X
BBC7
AND MANY MORE...........

Thanks a million for those replies, greatly appreciated.

Hugh

if you did cancel and had a sky + box can you still record the channels you can get using the sky + box?

Does anyone have a list of the channels I can get in Ireland free from Skybox without subscription

To find what channels you'll have without subscription simply remove your Sky card and whats left is your lot.

You may wish to put the UK epg on your box. This will allow you to have BBC 3 and 4, the ITV's and channel 4 on your epg. You can also add 50 channels to your favourites list and go through them using the blue button. This will save you trawling through channels you can't view.

To change to UK epg, with your card in go to sky news and press the red button. While in the interactive screen remove the card and press back up. This will give you the UK epg. To return to the Irish epg put your card back in.

Happy, sky subscription free, viewing.

If you are post the minimum contract period is it as simple as cancelling the subscription to get the above channels?

Do you need a different receiver or will the Sky equipment work?

If you are post the minimum contract period is it as simple as cancelling the subscription to get the above channels?

Do you need a different receiver or will the Sky equipment work?

When you cancel your subscription your skybox basically becomes a FTA box and will pick up the channels listed. No need for any further equipment.

Hi there, was just reading this thread with interest. Was debating whether to go back to Sky. We had it a few years ago, I think we got rid of it before we moved house but we kept the dish and the box and remote. So they are circa 2005.

Could we use the old satellite dish and sky box to receive FTA?

Would they be too old to receive half the stations? Does the satellite need to point in the same direction...I think it's south-east...?

What would be added benefits of paying for Sky, considering I don't need the Sky recorder thingy or Sky Sports or Movies... Would the new satellite and box be better at receiving stations on FTA?

thanks for any advice, mica

Could we use the old satellite dish and sky box to receive FTA?

Yes

Would they be too old to receive half the stations? Does the satellite need to point in the same direction...I think it's south-east...?

Provided your equipment is ok it will pick up the same FTA channels as a new one.Your dish will need to be properly alligned.

What would be added benefits of paying for Sky, considering I don't need the Sky recorder thingy or Sky Sports or Movies... Would the new satellite and box be better at receiving stations on FTA?

If your happy with just the FTA channels (main ones mentioned elsewhere in this thread) you dont need a sky subscription. However you will need to subscribe to watch sports and movies.

Don't forget to give SKY at least 30 days notice of the intention to quit. Otherwise they will keep charging. Learnt from experience. Slim

quitting sky isn't that easy you need to be ready to talk to at leat 2 people who will go through a big song and dance before they finally accept this treachery.

Took me about 15 minutes to cancel when I moved out of my old place.

You would sware I was takeing the food out of the guys mouth.

Just say no to sky. don't wrangled into a holding contract or any of that sh1te either.

Similar experience here.They want to be your friend and
will not let you go.You pay for the privilege of talking to
these scottish people wh oonly care about losing a
customer for Rupert.Blood pressure time:mad:

Easiest way to unsubscribe from sky is to cancel your debit and on the same day write to sky to inform them. Any outstanding fee can be settled by cheque. I always use this method and not only for sky.

I find this hard to believe. Do you mean I've been paying for Sky for the last 8 yrs and I didn't need to ?

Must check it out !

will the same work for upc/chorus? when I cancel do I need to return the boxes or do I get to keep them?

Back