Sky Digital - Need a landline?

bazermc

I am just looking into signing up for Sky Digital - given my problems with NTL digital :(

The website states that you need a landline in the house to be able to avail of digital, is this true. Is there any way around it?

Cheers

Yes it is true. we got our digital with sky over a year ago. apparently for the first year it has to remian connected to the phone line all the time, after that i am not sure what happens. apparently it does register in their system if you disconnect it from the phone line as they rang up a friend of ours to see what the problem was as they were aware it had been disconnected. as to ways around it, I am afraid that I do not know. someone more electirclally minded might be able to help on that side of things.

Good luck with it.

muzzy.

You do not need a landline to have Sky Digital installed. I got Sky fitted in September 06 and I do remember there was an extra charge for not having a phoneline but this was not too much...can't remember exactly how much, I think it was about €40. Hope this helps.

You do not need a landline to have Sky Digital installed. I got Sky fitted in September 06 and I do remember there was an extra charge for not having a phoneline but this was not too much...can't remember exactly how much, I think it was about €40. Hope this helps.

This is correct, but only for basic Sky. For Sky+ or HD, the box must be connected to a phone socket and capable of 'dialling out'.

Sky were doing great offers last year (6 months free sports or movies) but I didn't sign up ............ anybody know if they intend to do a similar offering this year ?? I suppose now that they have utv and ch4 and with all the complaints re chorus/ntl they don't need to do great promotions. I know they are doing 1/2 price for one month but nothing like what was on offer

Last edited:
This is correct, but only for basic Sky. For Sky+ or HD, the box must be connected to a phone socket and capable of 'dialling out'.

Not true, you can have HD and/or Sky + without a phone line. You do, however, have to pay full price for the equipment and they will also charge you a connection fee if you do not have a phone line installed. You can get the eqiupment from any independent installer and contact Sky separately for the subscription.

You cannot have multiroom without being connected to a phoneline.

Not true, you can have HD and/or Sky + without a phone line. You do, however, have to pay full price for the equipment and they will also charge you a connection fee if you do not have a phone line installed. You can get the eqiupment from any independent installer and contact Sky separately for the subscription.

You cannot have multiroom without being connected to a phoneline.

Well I have been told different by both an installer and Sky, but if it works for you then I'm not going to argue.

they did that to use for a while we had it plugged in when they installed it, then plugged it out, we go phone calls and letters, which we ignored called them onc made up some lie, that was over a year ago, but they do activatly test to see if there is a connection to the box.. we had 2 connections and sky plus

Well I have been told different by both an installer and Sky, but if it works for you then I'm not going to argue.

Apologies CCOVICH, reread the post and I sound a bit harsh, not intended. Sky are a good one for getting different answers from different telephone operators. I know that you don't need a phoneline installed for Sky+ as I have it and don't have it connected to a phoneline. I never agreed with Sky to connect it to the phoneline and they were fine with that. They were the same nearly 10 years ago and also as recently as 6 months ago, this time around I did have to pay a connection fee.

The reason they don't make it clear and easy for you to go this route is because the interactive services are very profitable for them and this revenue is important. So much so that they can offer free/subsidised equipment if you have a phoneline connected. The companies that use the interactive service to market products supply Sky with an awful lot of money.

You do have to pay full price for all the equipment and as I said multiroom has to have a phoneline connected. I think that the Sky installers make you have a phoneline connected, as again they are subsidised on the installation by Sky, but you should be able to pay full price for the install or get an independent installer.

Sky were doing great offers last year (6 months free sports or movies) but I didn't sign up ............ anybody know if they intend to do a similar offering this year ?? I suppose now that they have utv and ch4 and with all the complaints re chorus/ntl they don't need to do great promotions. I know they are doing 1/2 price for one month but nothing like what was on offer

Pator, I saw an ad in my local paper yesterday for 2 mths free movies & sports for new subscribers, but the ad didn't make clear if it was only for sky+/sky HD or regular sky subscriptions. Offer available till 28th Feb.

sonnyikea said:
Apologies CCOVICH, reread the post and I sound a bit harsh, not intended.

No offence taken sonnyikea-and if you have stood your ground, fair play to you! I am happy enough to have a phone line anyway, so it's not really an issue for me, but it certainly is for lots of other people.

I have to say that I never use interactive services that require me to pay (I only use the red button to watch highlights and alternate games) and don't enter any of the competitions.

I am also thinking of getting Sky+ installed in my new house, but I hate the idea of wires and everywhere in the house and particularly down the front of houses that you see sometimes.

As I dont know anything about this type of thing, I dont want the engineer to tell me it has to be done a certain way leaving me with loads of wires and cables everywhere.

Anybody tell me the neatest way of minimising the amount of cables. I am getting a phone line installed, and see they tell you that you need this for sky +, does that mean more cables plugged into phone sockets, etc.

Thanks

MandaC

Back