Sky + - can't play a recorded programme

thebop

Can anyone help with this please? Recorded a couple of programmes and they won't play. I've tried powering down the box and switching it off and still no luck. Is this a lost cause or does anyone have a tip?

I don't have a tip, but you're not alone. The same thing happened to me. I was able to play other programs, but when I tried to view one in particular, it just sat there. In the end, I just deleted the program.

I've deleted programmes before when this happened but really want to see one of them (House from last wkend, am totally addicted :))

Thanks anyway

I would say the item recorded on a 'bad' part of the disc that + records to. If so, you won't be able to play it.

Sometimes when its happened to me, I power it off for a few minutes at the switch, then turn it back on and *sometimes* it works.

Did I moan yet about having to have the Sky engineer out again? He's due Saturday... oh how I hate Sky.

I know I've been very lucky that the box hasn't been troublesome touch wood but I'm just a bit peeved as I really wanted to see that episode I recorded. Boo hoo I know, people have real problems etc.

get this about once every 2 months or so.
not usually an issue as most things i record are repeated elseware on the likes of sky2/3.
do a seach on your mysky tv listings and you may come across it.
also you may find the odd episode on the web that is streamed. did the other day for a episode of scrubs I missed on Monday on rte2.

Thebop have you searched the programme listings to see if its on again? The one thing about Sky is they have plenty of repeats!

Thanks for the replies guys. The series of house i'm recording on 3e is on hallmark so i think the particular episode i missed is on some day next week. Bloody recession and all the associated staying in has me addicted to telly :) cheers again

We have cornation st, emerdale etc on series record (sad or what!) a month or so corrie taped but would not play so just deleted and forgot about it, same thing happened on fri nite it taped the first episode and taped the second episode but would only play the second episode - should we ring sky or could we sort it out ourselves

I would say the item recorded on a 'bad' part of the disc that + records to. If so, you won't be able to play it.

Sometimes when its happened to me, I power it off for a few minutes at the switch, then turn it back on and *sometimes* it works.

Did you try that?

We did turn the sky off from the remote control and on again but did power it off fully, but we will do the next time it happens.

I've seen a tip mentioned before that you shouldn't delete these unplayable programs... because if the problem is with a bad area of the disk then by deleting the program you are freeing up the bad area to be used again.. also if you do ever call an engineer out you would have several unplayable recordings for him to examine..

Cheers

That makes complete sense, thank you.

If I remember correctly both times it happened was when corrie was on twice on the one night and it recorded both but only played the second recording not the first, i was just wondering if it had anything to do with that.

We have cornation st, emerdale etc on series record (sad or what!) a month or so corrie taped but would not play so just deleted and forgot about it, same thing happened on fri nite it taped the first episode and taped the second episode but would only play the second episode - should we ring sky or could we sort it out ourselves

I also have Emmerdale and Corrie on Series Record, and it failed to record the first episode last Friday night. The plot thickens!!

Well, maybe there's a bug in the software..

Uncorked: Did you also do two recordings in a row like NHG above.. if so maybe there's a bug where the first recording can't be played if a second recording happens before a reset or some other activity.. this could be tested by setting up two recordings during the day say, when you're at work.. and seeing if the first recording can play.

Or the bug may be more complex.. like recording two different channels in a row.. or some other sequence...

If you could duplicate the problem at will then Sky would solve it... having worked as a computer programmer I know that if a bug can't be duplicated then it is unlikely they will solve it... on the other hand if it can be duplicated at will then it is easy to solve... intermittent bugs can be very tricky to solve.

Cheers

PS. Other users could try setting up to record Emmy and Corrie on Friday nights... and see if anyone can play the first recording.. if not then you have a repeatable bug which should be fixed quickly. I don't have a Sky box so can't help....

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a double corrie on last night and both episodes played perfect. Must be something to do with a bug in sky's programing.

I have Corrie and Emmerdale on series record for the last year and a half. These programmes are back to back: Emmerdale 7pm Corrie 7.30pm on TV3. On Friday, nothing else was recording at the same time. This problem doesn't happen every week but programmes have failed to play, perhaps ten times, in a year and a half.

JoeBallantin, I'll take your advice and keep the unplayable recordings. Thanks.

It happened again last night, first corrie taped (showed 2% used and 29mins) but would'nt play, second corrie played no prob. I powered off as suggested but no difference. I did'nt delete it this time incase sky repairs need to call

Back