Sky box in spain

deegan

Does anybody know if a sky box would work in spain, I have a house in the south of Spain with a freeview box which receives all the UK channels, I have been told that if I bring my Sky box over to Spain that because the voltage is different it will blow the circuit board on the Irish box. Does anybody know if this is true or is it just a myth?

Cheers..................

I know somebody who brought a digibox down to Spain and they are still happily viewing on it. Myth I'd say.

Does anybody know if a sky box would work in spain, I have a house in the south of Spain with a freeview box which receives all the UK channels, I have been told that if I bring my Sky box over to Spain that because the voltage is different it will blow the circuit board on the Irish box. Does anybody know if this is true or is it just a myth?Cheers..................
I'd say that's a myth. Technically, Sky might sue you or cancel your contract for breaking their rules, if they find out that about it.

But whether or not it will work would depend on what channels you want and what part of Spain you're in. Some channels are tightly focused and you might need a bigger dish to tune them.

This map shows the coverage of Astra 2d http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html

If the channels you want are on 2d, then you won't get them if you're not under it's footprint (most of Spain is not)

BBC is on Astra 2A and it's got a bigger footprint or coverage area : http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2a_south.html. This may explain why FTA (e.g. BBC) works.

'FreeView' is the term for UK digital terrestial TV, it does not require a satellite dish, but can only be received in the UK.

No myth.
I had a sky box set up in Switzerland and it worked 100%. All stations are on Astra 2D-Signal strength was excellent. I had a 80cm dish and a secondhand sky box I bought through buy and sell. For spain yuo may need to get a 1m dish as it is further south. I have heard that people get it in Greece, Turkey and Bulgaria-once the dish is big enough you will get it anywhere.
There are probably lots of companies offering the sky installation to UK ex pats in Spain-they do this in Portugal too. The key is that to have a sky subscription you must have a Irish/UK address to get the subscription going. Once the card is registered there and you are not on a subsidised box and installation contract then Sky will never bother you. You dont need to have it connected to a phone line-so SKY wont ping your box to see where you are.

Just to add one thing..for good reception use a 1mt dish.:)

Back