Skoda or Toyota

paulyboy

Registered User
Messages
16
Hi,I am loking to buy a car in January,and looking for advice.I am down to Skoda Octavia 1.0 tsi 2016 or Toyota corolla Luna,2016 .Skoda a bit cheaper,any body experience on these cars,Thanks.
 
I've owned and driven both. Last 4 cars were in ascending order of newness, Skoda, Skoda, Toyota, and Toyota. My mechanic and next door neighbour is a huge Toyota fan. I drop the keys in his letter-box in the evening, he brings the car home and drops the keys back in my letter-box the following evening and I get a text message days later saying what I owe. I drop an envelope in his letter-box. The 2008 Corolla sailed through the last NCT earlier this month with a blown number-plate bulb advisory - there are two so not a failure. Toyota all the way.

Previous cars were in no particular order, Citroen, Peugeot, Mazda, Nissan, Mercedes, Subaru, Mini, Volvo. I've driven others as company cars, Ford, Rover, etc.
 
Toyota - especially the hybrids - are the good spot right about now. They are holding their value really well, bring a petrol car to the liters-per-100km of a diesel roughly, and just simply don't break.
 
Have driven Skoda Octavia 1litre for the past 4 years. Not a hint of any trouble. Twice annual trip to France which includes very long mileage and full boot (Red Bus Cherbourg) on way home each time. Boot space is fantastic.
Great mileage, we always watch the number of litres per 100 kilometres and with steady driving, it’s excellent.
Would definitely give thumbs up to Octavia. It’s our 3rd one in the last 15 years, never had an issue. Last car was Kodiaq but we decided it was too big and Irish car parks not suitable for these big cars.
 
I've had Ford (ok) , FIAT (Rubbish), Jeep (Rubbish) , Nissan ( Best car) and Skoda( won't be buying again). The only brand I've never had issue with was the Japanese brand.My next car will be Japanese i.e. Toyota. Very very boring but reliable and easy to maintain. I'm OK with that.
 
I’m driving a Skoda Octavia 212 model 1.0 litre petrol. Great car in the main except for constant issues with the infotainment system which reboots itself frequently and has now stopped working altogether. As well as that each time on start up I have a plethora of alerts about sensors not working etc. I’ve heard this is common for models after 2020.
 
Toyota is definitely a good choice in terms of reliability. Just stay away from the hybrid 1.8 engine which has issues with egr valve and manifold clogging leading to blown head gaskets if not cleaned/changed in time.
Prius gen 3 2010-2015, Prius gen 4 2016-2022 and C-HR (all generation) have that particular engine.
 
Des Pondent it depends on the year of production 2020-2022 shares exactly the same engine, anything before or after used a 2.0L hybrid engine.
 
Toyota is definitely a good choice in terms of reliability. Just stay away from the hybrid 1.8 engine which has issues with egr valve and manifold clogging leading to blown head gaskets if not cleaned/changed in time.
Prius gen 3 2010-2015, Prius gen 4 2016-2022 and C-HR (all generation) have that particular engine.
Des Pondent it depends on the year of production 2020-2022 shares exactly the same engine, anything before or after used a 2.0L hybrid engine

Hi Pawel,

I submitted the prompt below to Google Gemini and received the following output:

Prompt:
Compare the reliability of the Toyota Prius gen 3 2010-2015 versus Toyota Prius gen 4 2016-2022

Output:
In the world of used Toyotas, the jump from the Gen 3 (ZVW30) to the Gen 4 (ZVW50) is one of the most significant reliability leaps in the brand's history. While the Gen 3 made the Prius a household name, it also introduced several "ticking time bombs" that the Gen 4 successfully engineered out of existence.

### The Gen 3 "Fatal Flaws" (Why it's riskier)
The Gen 3 is a great car if meticulously maintained, but it has three specific issues that can cost more than the car is worth:

The Head Gasket Trap: The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system clogs with carbon. This causes the engine to run hot, eventually blowing the head gasket around the 120,000-mile mark. If not caught instantly, it can destroy the engine.

Inverter Overheating: Early Gen 3s had software and hardware issues where the Intelligent Power Module (IPM) would overheat and "pop," leaving the car dead in its tracks.

Oil Thirst: Due to the design of the oil control rings, many Gen 3s begin consuming a litre of oil every 1,000 miles once they pass 100k miles.

### The Gen 4 "Refinement" (Why it's the winner)
Toyota treated the Gen 4 as a "fix-it" project. They kept the efficiency but overhauled the engineering:

The 2ZR-FXE Engine Update: They redesigned the cooling passages and the EGR system. The head gasket issue is effectively non-existent on the Gen 4.

The eCVT Overhaul: The transmission was made smaller and more efficient, moving the two electric motors onto different shafts. This reduced internal friction and heat.

Heat Management: The Gen 4 uses an active grille shutter system and a faster-warming coolant loop, which reduces the "cold start" wear-and-tear that often killed Gen 3 engines.



Not saying the above is correct, but might be worth checking
Firefly
 
I am considering a new Corolla Cross, maybe next year. Today the more common Luna, Sport and Sol models are all 1.8 Hybrids. The more expensive GR Sport is a 2.0 Hybrid.
I would be going for the 1.8 engine. As I usually keep a car for 10 years anyway I would be interested to know for sure if this engine has the EGR Valve issue or if it has been resolved since 2022.
https://www.toyota.ie/models/corolla-cross
 
I would be careful with taking what Gemini has to say about this particular matter.
A lot of gen 4 haven't reached the sort of mileage to display the said egr valve blocking/failure issues. I personally know quite a few stories involving a gen 4 suffering the same faith. One way of overcoming such an adversity is to do plenty of preventive maintenance. If you clean the egr valve and the manifold every 100k miles that engine will cover lunar distances. I'm frankly informing the op about the possibility of such issues arising.
 
Des Pondent the Corolla cross after 2022 has the revised 1.8 engine so should be a better choice. Hopefully they won't suffer similar challenges pass the 160k mark.
 
Thanks for all replies , anybody have experience with this car, 2019

Skoda Octavia​

AMBITION 1.0 TSI 115HP 4DR
 
Back
Top