Skimming

Newbie!

Just looking for a few opinions from people...

We have been living in our house since the day we bought it which at the time meant that we tried to limit the amount of 'dirty work'. The walls in one particular bedroom weren't great as in they look dented and scratched (alot)...being quite deluded at the time, we thought we could polyfill the bad bits.

Anyway to cut short the story, the wall really is too bad and no amount of effort will disguise that. So, we are thinking of getting it skimmed. Is it ludicrous to try and get it skimmed now with the floors sanded and the wardrobes in? Will the mess be too much???

Any advice would be great because to be blunt our heads are fried thinking about it!

We've just lived through skimming of our bedrooms. It's a messy job but not too bad. Lot's of dust so tape up your wardrobes. Cover everything, the plaster comes off a sanded & varnished floor easy enough. Just ask/insist up front that the room is prepared well. Obviously clear out what you can.

Good luck.

Cheers,
MAJJ

Empty out the room and cover the floors completely with newspaper. It's a lot like painting in the sense that preparation is paramount.
It takes about a week before you can really see the end result so if you get a plasterer in then agree only to pay 1/2 now and the rest 1 week later when it's dried out completely. If he's any use he won't mind too much and if he's a cowboy at least he won't be gone with your money and a promise if the work doesn't turn out.
I'm writing out of a bad experience.

thanks for the replies.

WE actually have a plasterer lined up from work already done in the house. While we can vouch for his work, he was extremely messy so I just wanted to be 100% sure to go ahead with this work!!

thanks again,.

.he was extremely messy so I just wanted to be 100% sure to go ahead with this work!!

thanks again,.

We're going to need one small room skimmed shortly and quite a few friends have warned me about work they have had done and how plasterers can be very messy workers. Just wondering why they have this reputation? Is it the nature of their work and they possibly have someone to clean up after them on sites so they don't bother to do this when working in private houses.

Plastering by its nature is very messy and when done on a building site it is easier to clean (usually on a concrete floor and not carpet/tiling) but if the plasterer is tidy he should be able to take care not to dirty the room , it will take a little longer as he would have to protect everything but it is possible

When we got Steve (the plasterer) last year, he warned us he'd make a mess and asked us to cover up all possible surfaces. He cleaned after himself but it's impossible for them to stay clean while plastering. He was covered in plaster dust for a start and had to walk up and down the stairs. We just covered the floor and did a big clean up when he'd left. No permanent damage.

Back