skiing in andora

thombom

Can anyone recommend good places to stay in andora or any other ski resorts it would be very helpful. Thanks..........

hi there. im actually booked to go to andorra myself the 1st feb coming. this is a fab resort. im travelling with 3 other girls. i have been to andorra before and stayed in a resort called arinsal. i would not go back again as i did not like the nightlife at all. the skiing was good tho. no complaints there. i stayed at the st gothard hotel. its a 4 star hotel. im not a bit fussy to be honest but i did not think this deserved a star. this year im going to soldeu which in my opinion is fab. there are great restaurants aroung the village and also good bars and a couple of clubs. the hotel i was in last year was the piolets hotel which is at the top of the village just two doors down from the gondola. this is the best hotel in my opinion. exellent staff, excellent location and really nice rooms too. hotel is very clean too and very helpful with anything u need. its also attached to a chemist which can come in very handy especially with alot af accidents happening on ski hols... ie falling alot....id recommens it for families couples and also groups of guys and girls.. happy skiing..... dont hesitate to ask anything else...

Andorra is one of the worst ski resorts in Europe. It's all right for beginners, but the extent of the slopes is limited and the lifts don't co-ordinate well. A moderately competent skier could ski every run in Andorra in an hour.
It is a good place to go if you want to get blind drunk every night, or buy cheap cigarettes, but as a ski resort it's garbage.
If you want to have a ski holiday that you will really enjoy, and if you like skiing, them go somewhere with lots of big slopes and lots of variety, as well as good nightlife tnat isn't just about pub crawls and cheap booze. Try one of the French Alpine or Italian Dolomite resorts, or a good Austrian one like Salbach/Hinterglimn or Obergurgl. If you want moderate skiing and lots of partying, but without the drunkeness, go to Kitzbuhl.
Go anywhere except that kip. It really is the absolute pits.

Soldeu, in Andorra is a good resort. Sports Hotel is very good. Great location- a few minutes walk to gondola, very convenient. Have stayed there several times. Have stayed in Piolets too. Would recomment both. There is a regular local bus to Andorra la Vella(the capital - great restaurants and shops. )Andorra used to be considered cheap and cheerful, maybe in the early 1990- not anymore. The social scene is similar to that in Austria. Excellent ski school in Andorra. The only reservation I have about Andorra is,- snow record in recent years has not been great, but that probably applies to many ski resorts throughout Europe.

Soldeu, in Andorra
I think that's the place I was in before.
Found it be quite a miserable old place. Crumby pubs and restaurants and very poor Apres Ski.
If I was going skiing again Id head for Italy or Bulgaria or Austria etc.

There are shuttle buses from Airports to Andorra.Have used Novatel buses. Excellent servie. I prefer shuttle buses to the local transport, as the local buses have lots of stops. Cost, I think, is about 45 euro return. I have used google to find transport.

Soldeu, in Andorra is a good resort. Sports Hotel is very good. Great location- a few minutes walk to gondola, very convenient. Have stayed there several times. Have stayed in Piolets too. Would recomment both. There is a regular local bus to Andorra la Vella(the capital - great restaurants and shops. )Andorra used to be considered cheap and cheerful, maybe in the early 1990- not anymore. The social scene is similar to that in Austria. Excellent ski school in Andorra. The only reservation I have about Andorra is,- snow record in recent years has not been great, but that probably applies to many ski resorts throughout Europe.
That's the dump I stayed in a couple of years back, persuaded by a few mates that Andorra was a good ski destination. I stayed two days and got out of the place, flew back to Dublin and got a plane to Austria and went "proper skiing" in Mayerhofen.
The Sports Hotel was billed as 4 star, they must have got them off the christmas tree. The "restaurant" was like the canteen in a factory, the main feature of the place was a disco bar that was full of pie eyed Irish and English twenty somethings who were gorging on the cheap drink.
Anyone thinking of going to Andorra who hasn't been skiing before, forget it and go anywhere else; it will put you off skiing for life. Nothing to recommend it, poor snow record, badly planned slopes and lift system, and the whole resort would fit in a decent sized farm. What a kip!

If you've never skiied, Andorra is fine to get a taste IF you get a good deal. My OH couldn't understand why I was dissapointed as it was his first time (my 2nd).

He understood when we went to Austria the next time.

Problem with Andorra is that it was custom built so just doesn;t have that authentic "ski" feel to it...all too manmade (and badly made at that).

Overall, I'd say it was okish for the price....but I wouldn't go again.

Austria is dear, so look at flying direct to any airport close to Alps and sorting yourself out...it's a fair bit of work though.

Thinking of lookimg at Scandanavia next year for something different

None of us has unlimited time off, so why spend a valuable week of free time being miserable in a kip. The difference in price between Andorra and (for example) an Austrian resort can turn out to be as little as a couple of hundred euros for a week if you compare like with like. Most of the Austrian hotels tend to be of a good standard; when they say four star that's what you get, unlike Andorra. If you go to the cheaper hotels in Austria you won''t pay any more than you would in a third rate destination.
If you bypass the travel agencies and put your own ski package together, you won't notice the difference in cost vis a vis Andorra. Get a Ryanair flight to Salzburg, or even use Aer Lingus if they happen not to be on strike, and you are close to lots of good resorts. Hotels will pick up small groups for a small fee, or use a taxi service, or rent a small car if there's four of you. Book your hotel on the intenet, use the local ski shop to rent skis etc, and where's the mystery about being your own travel agent? Hotels will usually do a package that includes half board and a lift pass, and that's you sorted.
Life's too short; keep out of Andorra and really enjoy your ski holiday.

Back