Size of Sunroom, Help!

guitarmama

Our sunroom is being built at the mo 16ft x 16ft. Foundations are down, pipes have been relocated and some dwarf walls up today; problem is I think that it won't be big enough to use as a dining and living area as planned. We just went as far across as the utility room door as this provides an extra back door for dirty shoes etc but now I think we should have gone all the way across the back wall which would have been 23ft approx. Maybe it's because it looks cluttered with rubble but I'm not sure... Now here's the blonde question (even though I'm not blonde), would it be a big hassle to ask them to change it at this stage??

Our sunroom is being built at the mo 16ft x 16ft. Foundations are down, pipes have been relocated and some dwarf walls up today; problem is I think that it won't be big enough to use as a dining and living area as planned. We just went as far across as the utility room door as this provides an extra back door for dirty shoes etc but now I think we should have gone all the way across the back wall which would have been 23ft approx. Maybe it's because it looks cluttered with rubble but I'm not sure... Now here's the blonde question (even though I'm not blonde), would it be a big hassle to ask them to change it at this stage??

Your builder would be the best person to ask about this. Bear in mind that buildings look an awful lot smaller from foundations and 16 x 16 is a reasonably big room.

Our sunroom is being built at the mo 16ft x 16ft.

16 x 16 would be a good sized dining room. I don't think you'll have much space left for living once the table goes in. If it was more rectangle there might be a chance.

Regarding redoing it. 23 x 16 would put you close to the limit on exemptions from planning especially if you have some other extension built. Removing the existing dwarf wall at the back and pouring a new foundation out 7 or 8 ft further out would not be a problem unless access to that area with a digger was. Guess you would be looking at an additional 30% increase in the cost.

You may also have issues with your roof depending on what way it was going on.

Thanks all. It actually is almost the same size as our kitchen so we think it will be big enough for what we need. It looks like we will fit a table/chairs and a few two seater sofas in too so all looking good.

Back