Site value if PP refused

T

Trillian

I am considering buying a site in the greater Dublin area. It is being sold by a house owner with sizeable gardens without planning permission. Many other similar sites in the area have been granted permission.
My question is: if permission is refused is the site likely to lose value?

If you cannot get PP at all it is only worth anything to an adjoining land owner ( the person who sold it to you) to extend a house with in planning exeptions.
Get a professional local architect etc to look, because if it cannot get PP at all it is worthless.
If planning is troublesome it could take a long time and potentially cost you alot on delays and interest etc....

I think that there are strict guidlines in Dublin for developements of this nature such as the size of the remaining garden.
If the property falls within these guidlines then the planning permission is almost automatic so you can check it out before you get any further in.
What worries me is the motive of the seller and why he does not get the planning permission before selling. Maybe he knows something that you don't.

Speak with the area planner to see what they have planned for that area and if they would consider an application for a new dwelling on the garden/site. The grounds for refusal can vary -it could be something as simple as design of the house ie window type (pvc/timber), exterior finish (smooth plaster/brick/stone) in which case nothing to worry about if you're willing to be flexible. It could also be to do with the infrastructure or enforcement issues (ie someone already in breach of planning) in which case run a mile!

Best of luck!

Back