Sit In at the Passport Office

Thanks for clearing that up.

Why in a "role profile form",is answering the phone and dealing with customers not in it?

If not why is it not in it?

I would really like someone to answer that!
I take it that you are referring to the closing of counters and non-answering of phones. This action does not form part of work-to-rule. It is seperate ongoing industrial action. That is why the department can threaten non-payment for periods of closure.

Off point BUT HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

I cant find my passport.. I recently had a lot of house renovation and yes out of all of our passports I cant find mine and due to travel on the 13th April..

Now do you think I have a chance of getting this and will I send VIA An Post today or queue up?

The turnaround time of 10 days is now supposed to 18-20 days , so I would be concerned if I was you, especially with the Easter break coming up.

We are actually travelling on the 25th of April and only realised one of the kids passports is out of date next month so we sent it by post today. It gives us 23 days but I'm still a bit worried.

I take it that you are referring to the closing of counters and non-answering of phones. This action does not form part of [work-to-rule. It is seperate ongoing industrial action. That is why the department can threaten non-payment for periods of closure.

Ok, so what are the staff doing or not doing to implement the work to rule?

What is the "separate ongoing industrial action"about.?

That is it in a nutshell. The CPSU have balloted their members for industrial action that is going beyond the limits set down at present by other unions. My major fear at this time is that if they go ahead and dock pay and suspend personnel that the whole thing could go out of control.

I know from a friend of mine (who is a union official) that they have had a hard time holding back the union members who wanted to escalate action to the point of open revolt. The public service has been like a powder keg for a while due to the ongoing harassment and abuse they are getting and something to happen here could cause a massive knockon effect throughout the whole system.

Sorry for scaremongering but that is the truth.

Why would anybody book a holiday without having a passport, which a lot of the people queuing have done? Seems a bit crazy to me

A lot of people book holidays more than 6 months in advance and will have to renew their passport by the time the holiday comes round.

Well I booked this trip months ago and had a passport! But now I can't seem to find the bloody thing, what a nightmare! I will have to go into their office 2moro so, wish me luck!

Ok, so what are the staff doing or not doing to implement the work to rule?

Presumably sticking rigidly to the duties listed in their role profile.

What is the "separate ongoing industrial action"about.?
It forms part of the campaign against pay cuts as well. Different departments on different days implement morning counter closures then afternoon phone bans.

Why would customers do it?
Would be more advantages to the staff ;)

Yep, sounds a bit too coincidental to me. if members of the public are sitting in and tying themselves to chairs (via RTE one news) then evacuation is a handy way to get rid of them isn't it?

Looking at the exact terms of a contract is just childish and belligerent. And it is totally unhelpful and unproductive. My job is to develop software. I do what it takes to get the job done. I don't look to see if I have to provide a certain amount of lines of code per day. I don't look to see if I have to answer the phone. I don't look to see if a certain standard of computer must be provided. I simply get on with the job my boss asks me to do. It is because I am a responsible adult that I behave in this manner.

Yep, sounds a bit too coincidental to me. if members of the public are sitting in and tying themselves to chairs (via RTE one news) then evacuation is a handy way to get rid of them isn't it?
Jaysis, so we're terrorists now as well?:(

Well said shnaek..
Apparently though it would appear that this is exactly what is called for in all future contracts..

Bill Struth... I think its only fair if we show our" colours",when posting?
Firefly;You have to "work " in the first place ,to get back to it.:)

Bill Struth... I think its only fair if we show our" colours",when posting?
Firefly;You have to "work " in the first place ,to get back to it.:)

Seriously, there's plenty on here who've been honest in the past about where they work when speaking up on behalf of the PS/CS, I see no reason to make an issue or to get personal against them.

Bill Struth; I was a public servant,but left.This was because I could not stand the millitant stance a lot of the workers and union reps would take at the drop of a hat,,the dossing ,the getting away with as much as possible, the consistent looking for trouble attitudes.

I think a lot of the staff needed to do a personal development course to build up their self esteem,as in my experience its those who don't think a lot of themselves who cause the most trouble.
I'm a psychologist.;)

It is well documented on this site,about my time in the public service.

Back