Siro want access to put up broadband on the house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the same situation as the OP, they installed cable across the facade of our house to link up houses further down, we also took the service and its top notch & super fast.

The installation was done 'best practice' and there were no white unmarked vans to be seen, they were subcontractors (TLI in this case) who also had the company name on their clothing, hart hats, hi viz etc etc

I'd email siro asap to validate the 'white van' - they reply pretty quickly

Finally, if I thought everyone before me had their hand out looking for €€€ for a cable to pass along the facade of their house then I'd be mightily pee'd off --

I mean does every interaction nowadays require the hand out for grubby cash in lieu of goodwill? For goodness sake ignore the Grinch's and let the cable pass....

You know that you can get the same speed from Virgin, right?

As the original poster seems to have Virgin's predecessors equipment already (ie NTL's cables), it's reasonable to assume that they've already got the option of fast broadband. :)
I was with Virgin Media for years and they were great, don't get me wrong.

But at the risk of being a bit pedantic, there is a difference between Virgin's Gigabit which for most people will be fibre-to-the-cabinet and coax over the last hop, and new offerings from SIRO, Eir and Virgin in some new builds which are fibre-to-the-home. That difference might not mean much to the average person today, but to heavier users, latency sensitive users (video calling, gaming, remote office etc) or as the need for higher speeds becomes common (10Gb/s for example) there is a difference between FTTC and FTTH.

I haven't been on Virgin for a while, but on their FTTH I think you could see 1000Mb/s download, 50Mb/s upload and latency ranging from 8-20ms? My Eir FTTH does 1000Mb/s download, 100Mb/s upload and latency is fairly consistently 4ms. The latter being the really important metric that is often obscured by only focussing on download speeds. Fibre has much greater scope to increase speed over time and is less susceptible to distance from the exchange or interference from other signals.

So yeah Virgin coax is a great service, but FTTH is even better.

Utility companies usually have the legal right to do this under what I think is called a wayleave or easement and is usually backed by legislation. They should have a liasion office, certainly Irish Water have as an example

That'd be my view. The network planner might decide that a six house terrace isn't worth any special negotiations and either skip the six or run the fibre as far as your neighbour. They probably won't come back later if you change your mind!
As it happens they never came bear me. I was told by my neighbour what was going on. Tried to contact by email. No reply either.

As it happens they never came bear me. I was told by my neighbour what was going on. Tried to contact by email. No reply either.
The area doesn't seem to have tge super broadband that would be allowed on the package but it's perfectly fine.

Are EIR also rolling out fibre to the home? I had an KNetwork engineer representing EIR call me about putting a box on the side of my house. I asked if it was for SIRO and he said no.

Is it a competing product?

Just had a lad call to house at 6pm from TLI asking to run a fiber cable underground from the road outside, under my garden to gable end of house, kept saying he was with the ESB/Siro, it's only way to do it. I live in a row of about 15 houses on outskirts of a small town. . I know the ESB pole across road is rotten so they can use that till it's replaced. Sounds like he's looking for easy route but I'm not happy digging up my garden.

I've plans to re do the front of house and I'm fairly annoyed at the chancery of the whole call. It's not the only way as the pole could be replaced and what if they need access to cable down the line to chase a fault. TLI are private contractors who are getting paid by ESB/Siro to roll out the infrastructure. My initial reaction is that they can pay for privilege of using my house as part of their network and have a way leave agreement, I wouldn't buy in to the goodwill above but hoping for any other suggestions on what to do here please?

Sounds like he's looking for easy route but I'm not happy digging up my garden.
Putting the cable underground is not the easy route, but it is the best method. Fibre lines are more prone to damage with movement, so they don't like stringing them between houses. Are they proposing digging up the entire channel or using a mole to tunnel the route?

It's not the only way as the pole could be replaced and what if they need access to cable down the line to chase a fault.
What has the pole replacement got to do with the route to your property? They have tools that can connect to a fibre line to determine exactly where the fault is, they don't need to go digging. If the line needs to be replaced, they simply pull the faulty one back through the conduit and feed a new line through.

You are entitled to refuse, but don't expect fibre broadband to be an option for you for years.

The easiest route is to run a cable overhead from the electricity pole outside my house to the gable, I'm the first house on the string of houses. Digging up entire channel is the route they want to take. Talked to an ex ESB staff today who said poles can be deemed damaged enough to remain but not to climb and can take a year to replace.

I'm never said I'm expecting bb so don't know why you're taking that angle, I'll be one left with fiber under garden restricting future works/ wayleave hanging over house/ potential half ass cleanup of the dig.

Well if I was your neighbour and I was prevented from having access to fibre because you have a suspicious nature, I would not be too happy.

Well if I was your neighbour and I was prevented from having access to fibre because you have a suspicious nature, I would not be too happy.
That's not the original poster's problem.
They're entitled to allow or disallow access to their private property as they so wish.

And I steal their milk! You’re the lad that called to the door I bet There’s ntl ran across the roof so bb supply not an issue, they attached from gable of next door detached house which is currently empty, just thought they can follow same path so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back