Sir Bobby Charlton R.I.P.

Deiseblue

A wonderful player and a great humanitarian who gave so much to victims of conflict through his foundation.
Fondly remembered in Waterford where he played for and against the Blues , most memorably in the European Cup in 1968/69 - still the record attendance at an inter club game in Ireland.
May the sod rest gently on him .

Bobby Charlton 1937-2023 (86)
Jack Charlton 1935-2020 (85)

They played together in a World Cup final, so much in common and yet seemed so different in personality.

Jack's tribute of ' He was the best player I have ever seen. He's my brother' on the Sports Personality of the year gets me everytime.

Really sad to see so many of those players from that era ending up with really bad health.

Jack's tribute of ' He was the best player I have ever seen. He's my brother' on the Sports Personality of the year gets me everytime.

Really sad to see so many of those players from that era ending up with really bad health.
And it was a close run thing for Bobby Charlton, injured in the Munich disaster. He was one of the "lucky" ones. He must have thought often of those who did not make it through.

Lots of excellent sportsmen around back in the 1960s and the 1950s. The leather ball used in soccer then was leather with a rubber tube. If the ball had dried from a series of wet use the leather hardened to around of density of oak wood. Furthermore, if you headed the ball on the lace you could expect immediate facial injuries. I’d love to see the likes of David Beckham playing with such a ball. I remember Bobby Charlton playing with Waterford. David Herd also played with The Blues. So sad to see such players expiring with the illnesses accrued.

Waterford had huge Manchester United connections back in the day , Charlton , Herd , Tommy Jackson and Shay Brennan .
The latter being our player manager who also scored the first competitive goals for United post the Munich disaster.
Tommy Jackson was our player manager when we won the Cup in 1980.
Martin Ferguson , brother of Sir Alex , won a league title with Waterford as player manager at the age of 26 and went on to become United’s chief European scout .

Back