Sinn Féin propose much-needed mortgage interest relief for homeowners - Pearse Doherty TD

I will be discussing this with Pearse Doherty on Newstalk Breakfast tomorrow at 8.15

I don't agree with it.

If the vulture funds or banks are charge excessive rates, then a mechanism should be found to bring down those rates. As a taxpayer, I don't want to pay for the problems caused by vulture funds.

People on cheap trackers have had 10 years of close to zero mortgage costs and now that they have increased, Sinn Féin wants the taxpayer to subsidise them?

If there is taxpayers' money available, it should be targeted at those who need it and those who need it most will be people in arrears.
I got my statement from AIB recently showing I paid circa €4K interest on my mortgage last year. I'm just wondering what people on cheap trackers did with what they were saving on interest in comparison to those of us on variable or fixed rates over the 10 years.

Turned on Newstalk this morning to hear this segment but instead heard another SF "engineer" waffling about the health service.

This is the kind of pronouncement you make now and by the time you're in a position to do something about it, you can say that your measure would have been targeted, appropriate and measured, but at this stage it no longer needed as the cost of living phase has passed and 'your Government' is now looking to other issues affecting people.
But you can always tell those that wanted this credit that you WOULD'VE done something for them and for other that didn't, it's something that we floated but didn't pursue. Effectively, something for everyone.

Reactions: jpd
I just about old enough to remember Fianna Fail in opposition in the mid 80's talking up the same populist policies. The Shinners are just a reincarnation of the FF party that wrecked the economy in the 70's and early 80's.

I will be discussing this with Pearse Doherty on Newstalk Breakfast tomorrow at 8.15

I don't agree with it.

If the vulture funds or banks are charge excessive rates, then a mechanism should be found to bring down those rates. As a taxpayer, I don't want to pay for the problems caused by vulture funds.

People on cheap trackers have had 10 years of close to zero mortgage costs and now that they have increased, Sinn Féin wants the taxpayer to subsidise them?

If there is taxpayers' money available, it should be targeted at those who need it and those who need it most will be people in arrears.
Exactly the right argument against it , if a tax relief is brought in then no lender will hold back on rate increases as the Taxpayer picks up the TAB

Back