Single to Double Glaze

Blarney

Hi All,
Does anyone know of anybody good on the northside of Dublin who could possible convert single glaze wooden windows to double glazing? I dont even know if it can be done but the windows themselves are fine so I would prefer to get them made into double glaze if possible.

Thanks a million

Blarney

It definitely can be done, my mother had it done a few years ago. Not in Dublin though I'm afraid so I can't give you a name. It was quite messy, lots and lots of dust and I don't think the guy did a very neat job.

I believe that one of the issues is the depth of the existing window frames - if they are too shallow, they may not be able to accomodate double glazed units. Or at least, that is the gist of what I understood when we considered this several years ago. We tried a few places but they were reluctant to consider it (we evetually got in new windows).

Having said that, it is certainly worth checking out as it is likely to be cheaper, if it proves possible, as well as keeping your existing windows out of landfill. Good luck.

Hi there Barney,

I had 25 year old teak windows converted to double glazing this year and am very happy with the result. The Company is based in Northern Ireland but works down here (Dublin). A neighbour had his done by this firm ten years ago and is still very satisfied. I'd been told the depth of the window frame was an issue but in fact it wasn't. Can't recall the owner's name (he does the pricing) but the firm's name is:

LMG Glazing Ltd
Phone: 028 777 65166/048
Email: [email protected]
Web:

It was ~ 6-8 weeks from the date of pricing to completion and took a day and a half. Cost of four large windows (5 panes in each) and a hall window with 3 panes cost €3,000. Think he gave me a small discount for :). It's made a huge difference to a north-west facing front and I think wood looks better though probably not as efficient as the plastic variety.

Sherib

Back