single person child carer

deco87

hi

I have divorced last month , I have one child , 17 he will be 18 end of this month.
I have just discovered the above , allowance. He is attending PLC course in Dublin.

He resides with me Full Time during the week , to go to college , and with my ex wife most
Fridays and Saturdays ...She owns her own place , as do I , Am I entitled to claim this ?

I would not have thought I have , I'm only divorced three weeks...the kid will be 18 end of the month , we were assessed as married.

I notified tax office on ros two weeks ago, it may not have been noted by them yet with xmas.
Kid lives with me , 5 days ..a week ...

I earn 55 k ush she 23 ish ...he lived with her at weekend 9n and off...

We will be assessed as single people when revenue get email....

My question...am I entitled to this payment ? My reading of the conditions, suggest I am

I have divorced last month , I have one child , 17 he will be 18 end of this month.
I have just discovered the above , allowance. He is attending PLC course in Dublin.

Look back to your previous thread "Tax Relief - Married / Single".

You have been advised that you are entitled to the Single Person Child Carer Credit already.

Are you talking about the Single Parent Child Carer Credit as opposed to the Home Carer Tax Credit? If so does you ex wife have it at the moment? One of you can get it only and obviously the joint assessment must cease. One of you could have got it while separated too but not with joint assessment.

Sorry Sophrosyne, for some reason your post wasn't there when I was posting reply.

Oh thanks...single parent child credit I'm enquiring about.
I actually had not realised it was available.
I thought when we became single people ( divorce final 3 weeks ago) joint assessment gone. Both single assessed.
Presumed I lose the benefit of joint assessed as I was higher earner....
That she would gain as a result, I would lose as a result and that was it.

I didn't take on board i could get this allowance.

So it seems one of us can.

No maintenance from court ...

Is whether you rent / own a property an issue ?
She has a mortgage free home
I'm renting ..

Mortgage etc irrelevant to the credit, whoever has the children most in theory gets it but couples can agree between them (if they can agree!) as to who should have it.

Really appreciate all the advice. Didn't genuinely know this was available. Spoke to ex she happy as I have kid 90 percent of time , for me to claim it ...that's a bit of help...is it available till he completes college , around 4 years time ? Thanks again

Back