Single pension scheme, contributory pension and mixed class contributions

partnership

I have a the following A and D contributions and trying to work out what I might get in relation to a Contributory Pension and also how the single pension works.

1985 - 1989 - about 2 years stamps in the UK trying to get record
1990 - 1993 - 125 A stamps
1993 - 2018 - 1274 D stamps (preserved pension to get when 60)
2018 - 2019 - Australia would have may 1.5 years contributions there
Started paying A stamp in 2019 and rejoined public sector in 2021.
2019 - 2021 - 112
2022 - May 2025 - 182 (intend to retire to Australia when I am 60 in May 2025)

Contributory Pension
I work out that I would have 419 A stamps in Ireland from 1990 - 2030 (when I would be 65)
This would give me an average of 10 contributions per year so I calculate that I could get a partial pension of approx €101 pw - is this correct
Even if I add in the UK stamps and the Australia stamps (bilateral agreement) this average would not go up as would be over 45 so I think that would be the max I could get. Am I missing anything.
Mixed rate pension
If I add A and D I would have 1693 divided by 40 years = 42.32 average
Notional rate 419/1693 = 61.45 pw which is less than the above amount. Am I doing this correctly?
My question is what Contributory pensions could I expect based on the current rules?
Single Pension
I have a preserved pension that I will get when I am 60.
By the time I am 65 I will have paid in 4 years and 3 months approx to the single pension scheme. I would then resign so that would be left preserved.
How much would I get taking into account that I would not qualify for the full old age pension (I know I have the preserved pension so that might be factored in). What age could I get it at and could I get a supplemental pension.

I am aware that if I continue working after 60 in the public sector I may be subject to pension abatement but I don't want to continue as wish to retire to Australia. I would not be working there as would not have a work visa.

Any help appreciated. Trying to forward plan and maximize what I can get.

Duplicate post?
No a different post one for me and one for hubby. Different figures.

The key thing to bear in mind is that you won't be eligible for the contributory state pension unless you have paid at least 520 full-rate social insurance (PRSI) contributions since starting insurable employment.

Are you sure that the total number of your combined Irish/UK/Oz PRSI contributions were at full rate and will exceed 519?

If you get at least 260 paid A stamps you will qualify for a pro rata pension. The rate of pension payable will be based on the ratio of A stamps to D stamps.

I have a the following A and D contributions and trying to work out what I might get in relation to a Contributory Pension and also how the single pension works.

1985 - 1989 - about 2 years stamps in the UK trying to get record
1990 - 1993 - 125 A stamps
1993 - 2018 - 1274 D stamps (preserved pension to get when 60)
2018 - 2019 - Australia would have may 1.5 years contributions there
Started paying A stamp in 2019 and rejoined public sector in 2021.
2019 - 2021 - 112
2022 - May 2025 - 182 (intend to retire to Australia when I am 60 in May 2025)

Contributory Pension
I work out that I would have 419 A stamps in Ireland from 1990 - 2030 (when I would be 65)
This would give me an average of 10 contributions per year so I calculate that I could get a partial pension of approx €101 pw - is this correct
Even if I add in the UK stamps and the Australia stamps (bilateral agreement) this average would not go up as would be over 45 so I think that would be the max I could get. Am I missing anything.
Mixed rate pension
If I add A and D I would have 1693 divided by 40 years = 42.32 average
Notional rate 419/1693 = 61.45 pw which is less than the above amount. Am I doing this correctly?
My question is what Contributory pensions could I expect based on the current rules?
Single Pension
I have a preserved pension that I will get when I am 60.
By the time I am 65 I will have paid in 4 years and 3 months approx to the single pension scheme. I would then resign so that would be left preserved.
How much would I get taking into account that I would not qualify for the full old age pension (I know I have the preserved pension so that might be factored in). What age could I get it at and could I get a supplemental pension.

I am aware that if I continue working after 60 in the public sector I may be subject to pension abatement but I don't want to continue as wish to retire to Australia. I would not be working there as would not have a work visa.

Any help appreciated. Trying to forward plan and maximize what I can get.
If you will only have 419 A Stamps, how did you estimate a State Pension of €101pw? You need a minimum of 520 PAID contributions.
You would qualify for a Pro Rata Pension ,but that will closer to €61pw.

Notional rate 419/1693 = 61.45 pw which is less than the above amount
That is your ballpark pro rata State Pension, based on your info. However, it may be different if your UK and/or Australian contributions can be taken in account - I don't know.

I assume you mean by the time you are 60?

Anyway, based on your information, you would not have any eligibility for a Supplementary Pension. Your Single Scheme Occupational Pension would be calculated on the basis on your 4 years and 3 months service in the normal way and paid at your retirement age in the Single Scheme. Your original preserved (Class D) pension is payable (on application) from age 60. Your State Pension is payable at State Pension age. These three are calculated independently from each other, ie, your preserved Class D pension is irrelevant in terms of either your Single Scheme Pension or your State Pension.

The key thing to bear in mind is that you won't be eligible for the contributory state pension unless you have paid at least 520 full-rate social insurance (PRSI) contributions since starting insurable employment.

Are you sure that the total number of your combined Irish/UK/Oz PRSI contributions were at full rate and will exceed 519?
That is me misreading things. I won't have the 520 in Ireland but if I had 2 years in the UK which would be full rate (am trying to get this record) and presume the Australian ones are full rate (worked 20 hours per week so not sure if this affects it). It would spread it over a 45 year period in terms of average but would just meet the 10 per year.

Thanks have read through this and it says you need 520 contributions? Am I reading it incorrectly. I also read about pre credits not sure if I can apply for them.

Don't forget that you have many more than 520 paid contributions when you include your Class D ones!

Does it matter that class D contributions don't count towards contributory pension?

The short answer is no! However, as you can see in the linked Operational Guideline, Voluntary Contributions made at Class D aren't reckonable for the SCP!

But in the case of "partnership" as her final paid PRSI contribution in 2025 will be at Class A, so too would any subsequent voluntary contributions that she may make.

Last edited:
Don't forget that you have many more than 520 paid contributions when you include your Class D ones!
So i can include my D ones in that 520. I thought they had to be A. That is interesting. Cab I apy for precredits. I started paying in Sept 1990 so potential 8 months worth could be added.

"Paid contributions" means paid contributions!

I know next to nothing about precredits, but my (limited) understanding is that they'll be automatically added when you reach retirement age.

"Paid contributions" means paid contributions!

I know next to nothing about precredits, but my (limited) understanding is that they'll be automatically added when you reach retirement age.
Thanks Groucho will definitely be following up on this.

How can one check how many PRSI class A contributions they have made? I've been at work since age 20 bar 3 maternity leaves & 2 years where I went back to study under Back to Education Allowance. I'm 53 now. Always paid class A stamp.
TIA

Thank u for that.... Its telling me I need a public services card to continue God I love red tape

Thank u for that.... Its telling me I need a public services card to continue God I love red tape
If you ring the Records Office in Buncrana, they might send you a copy in the post. Otherwise you need a PSC and then you can access your records online.

Back