Single Parent tax credit applies to both parents:

MLE

I separated quite recently and while applying for my single parent tax credit, I discovered that my ex-partner is also entitled to claim the credit, even though I have custody of the children. He has access visits on weekdays and alternate weekends, which makes him entitled to claim the same tax credit as me. I thought readers might be interested to know this and perhaps claim some extra tax relief. You can download the form on www.revenue.ie . It's very straightfoward to complete and you don't need proof of access, such as court order.

Do you mean the one parent family tax credit? Are you sure that both parents can claim this even thought the child(ren) may reside with one of them? And presumably they cannot claim it if they enter into a new cohabiting relationship?

Yes, I mean the One Parent Family tax credit. I checked with the Revenue Commissioners and was told that yes, so long as there is an access arrangement in place and the children have overnight access with the non-custodial parent, that parent is entitled to claim the tax credit. It amounts to €1760 per annum, the same as the single and PAYE tax credits.

I checked with the Revenue Commissioners and was told that yes, so long as there is an access arrangement in place and the children have overnight access with the non-custodial parent, that parent is entitled to claim the tax credit.
Revenue officials can and do make mistakes but such mistakes. I would get independent, professional confirmation of this first to be honest.

Too late Clubman ... I already applied and received the tax credit and so did my ex ...

You can easily apply for and be granted tax credits to which you are not actually entitled. Caveat emptor or whatever the equivalent phrase is for Revenue clients.

Well, I hope you are not correct in this instance. I made the enquiry, downloaded the form, gave the correct information and submitted the application. My ex did likewise. We were totally honest and upfront in our application and if Revenue gave us something to which we are not entitled, then I don't think we can be responsible for their error. Doesn't it make sense though, that he would also qualify as a One-Parent Family. He takes the children every second weekend and he pays maintenance??

I don't think we can be responsible for their error.
That's my point - you can be! I'm not trying to freak you out but Revenue do make mistakes (maybe and hopefully this is not one) but if they do then they will not accept that as an excuse for mistakes in your tax situation (e.g. misfilings or misclaimed credits etc.).
Doesn't it make sense though, that he would also qualify as a One-Parent Family. He takes the children every second weekend and he pays maintenance??
Sounds logical but the tax rules are not always so.

I checked the revenue website and it states that: "An individual (whether widowed, single, divorced, deserted or separated) who has a dependant child resident with him/her overnight for all or part of the tax year, is entitled to claim the One Parent Family Tax Credit. The following conditions apply:
1. Must not be entitled to the married persons tax credit
2. Must not be living with another person as husband/wife.

Last edited:
Fair enough - that sounds more like it alright. I was just erring on the side of caution above...

I know from personal experience that my ex-h claimed this, sent me a text saying he was applying for it and was I ok with it, I said no he doesn't see our child not talk about taking for an overnight at all during the year (which is a qualifying factor). Came back saying tough, i've already applied and been granted it and got it back dated 4 yrs, so not alone does the system allow people like him to defraud the state but he's also made me aware of his fraud, needless to say I told him if I was ever asked to confirm he takes our child I would not hesitate in telling the truth.

Just to clarify that the Single Parent Tax Credit can be applied to both parents. There are a couple of conditions on it though (my interpretation of the conditions):

1. The non-custodial parent must have the child(ren) overnight at least once a year.

2. You cannot be cohabiting with anyone as husband & wife - this applies whether you meet another partner who isn't related or responsible for the child(ren).

It's perfectly legal.

I told him if I was ever asked to confirm he takes our child I would not hesitate in telling the truth.

Do you not feel that you should be telling the truth now? Why have you not reported him? Is this not classed as tax evasion?

Cashstrapped .. my ex didn't look for access, but when I went to court for maintenance I brought it up and the judge shamed him into it! He now takes the children every second weekend, which I have to say, makes things easier for me and I feel, is good for the children as well. He has also agreed (after I requested it in court) to take them for two weeks in the summer. It's not easy being a single parent and after all, they are his kids too!

Joe1234, I have thought about it but there is nothing to be gained by it,he's not a very nice person and I couldn't take the chance of them telling him it was me, no doubt i'd pay for it in the long run. My point was the system allows people like him to claim something they are not entitled to by not checking with the other parent of the child/children in question.

MLE, it would take more than a Judge to shame this lad into using access, he would cross the road rather than have to say hello to our child and has never been denied any access, it's been like that for years so it's his loss, except of course for the financial gain of the Single Parent tax credit!!

Joe1234, I have thought about it but there is nothing to be gained by it,he's not a very nice person and I couldn't take the chance of them telling him it was me, no doubt i'd pay for it in the long run.

Fair point, but I don't believe that revenue are allowed to inform him who tipped them off. That's not to say that he couldn't guess it was you.

I wouldn't say a thing. if he's that bad at the moment and he was done for fraud the finger will and can only point to you so wouldn't bother. apart from you telling him how else would the government be able to proove the fraud?? I can't see them doing this

Back