Single parent but starting a family with new partner

I know we could go on and on about this but its more complicated, she's not a resident, not allowed to work etc.. etc... I stand my ground that living with someone else who is neither genetically/morally or financially obliged to the child can have any influence on a tax credit that is for single parents. but apparantly we live to serve, those are the rules...
Its been a rollercoaster of a thread, I do have food for thought. I liked the idea of the civil ceromony.

for the record,,,,... mariage and religion are almost synomous.... please!...

Not at all! I married in a civil ceremony in 2005 in the Registry Office in Dublin and it was so busy that each wedding is only allocated half an hour! Since the, the rules have changed to allow civil ceremonies in venues outside the registry office (registrar will come to registered venues like hotels, country houses etc) and there is now apparently a 6 month waiting list.

Thousands of couples get married every year in civil ceremonies. I could not have been more deadly serious about taking my marriage vows in the presence of the civil registrar than if I had been in the Vatican being married by the Pope.

, she's not a resident, not allowed to work etc.. etc... .

And presumable she would be allowed to be resident and to work if you married her. By her relationship with you and the child she is having she is becoming totally dependant on you.

your gf is pregnant, she isnt allowed to work here. also if (well you never know) you leave her - what she will do then? i cant even imagine to be in her position, must be really hard. ahhh...im only a woman aswell i guess :)

I apologise for the flippant remark.
Your partner is in a very precarious position. As are you. If you split up there is nothing to stop her leaving the country and taking your child with her.
I would recommend doing as much research into your situation and the implications thereof. You recently put a lot of effort into sorting out a broken mobile phone. Your partner surely deserves at least the same.

Mel/Merille
The thread is about discovering tax entitlements/obligations in an unusual circumstance and not the despair for the females of this world. Take it outside to another thread.

Potatoeman
Thats genius. I'm LMAO, no I'm not living with someone else's wife LOL but that is exactly what is implied by that statement! "as man and (someone elses)wife" brilliant.

Mamyof2
Fantastic information, thanks for that! I'll definitely look into this avenue.

Bronte
Correct, all are dependent upon me. This would not change under marriage. Hopefully she will be granted stamp4 this year. This means we will be officially recognised by the state as a "de-facto couple". When we are officially recognised she can work (if she wants to). I wont get any more Tax credits but according to what we discovered about the "living as man and wife" debacle I'll most likely loose the single parent one.

Alaskaonline
She is not a "resident" per sei but she is living with me... (bare with me) She is on a stamp 3 which allows her to stay for a year on year basis under strict critera. She is not allowed to work/claim SW, she must be fully insured and not be a burden on society. After 4 years (this year will be her 4th)she can be naturalised or obtain a stamp4 of which she can get a PRSI number etc.... As I said above, when we are recognised as a couple I'll talk to the Revenue. If the state does not recognise us as a couple then I'm not foregoing my single parent tax credit. Getting married via civil arrangement could be an option but one cannot be blamed for not running off the cliffs of marriage when you read time and time again that men get taken to the cleaners when things dont go well. I know we cant do pre-nups in this country but if we could I'd do the civil arrangements not for tax reasons but just so she can have full residence. The child will automatically have full Irish citizenship so no problems there. (so Mel, she cant actually take the child which will be a first for single fathers!)

The EU had passed a bill that permits the parents of non-EU nationality to become EU citizens themselves if their children are born in the EU. I believe this holds no ground here, I'll talk to the citizens information about this. If she can get her citzenship this way (which is the only reason to get married as the tax credits are miniscule) then there wont be any point to get married other than its "just nicer" to be married. However, I have also read (I'm open to correction here) that under common law after living with someone for a certain period means co-habiting couples have the same legal entitlements as married couples.

for those of you who are interested.
I will be talking to the citizens information in 2 weeks time to get the proper guidance on what the best thing to do is. I will post my findings.

for those who want to continue to attack there are other threads for that.

zen - what I meant by protected status of married couples in the constitution is that Article 41.3 of the Constitution promises to protect the institution of "marriage" with special care:
The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack.

............one cannot be blamed for not running off the cliffs of marriage when you read time and time again that men get taken to the cleaners when things dont go well.

I dont understand what you mean by this - in the case of seperation either the courts or mediation would come to a fair arrangement regarding maintenance/support.

If she can get her citzenship this way (which is the only reason to get married as the tax credits are miniscule) then there wont be any point to get married other than its "just nicer" to be married.

Its not 'just nicer'. It gives both of you and your child more security and legal rights - for you, rights to your child and for both of you, inheritance rights - Im sure there are more (tax credits), etc

What reason is there for having a relationship with someone, living with them, having and raising a child together - NOT to get married?

for those of you who are interested.
I will be talking to the citizens information in 2 weeks time to get the proper guidance on what the best thing to do is. I will post my findings.

for those who want to continue to attack there are other threads for that.

Did you have your meeting with CI?

Hi Zen, I understand your post is about tax and stuff, but as you are about to become a parent, you should know that as you are unmarried you will have no rights to your child, ie neither custody nor guardianship. Technically this means nothing unless your relationship breaks down and then your GF could move back to her home country and there is little you can do about it. Check out Treoir.ie for more information on this.
WRT to the Single Parent Tax credit, you are claiming this fraudulently, and yes, I agree, it is mad, its not like your GF is in a position to finacially contribute, but that is the tax law of the land.

As far as i am aware the Revenue are going to introduce some sort of tax credit for co-habiting couples similar to that for married couples.

Sorry for the late response people.... I'm having the meeting with them tomorrow, I got the wrong information from a rep in the Thomas St CI office....

My son is born and registered and we are ecstatic. Got him registered in Joyce House so he is officially an Irish citizen. Now we continue with my partners debacle.

There are a few grounds by which you can get a stamp4, here are 2 applicable to us
1-Defacto relationship with an Irish person...- which after 3 years trying to prove they decided to grant but the grinch at immegration specifically said she is not entitled to any state benefits when she gets it!!! 4 years here and hasn't been entitled to didly squat.
2-Parent to an Irish child. she is going to apply to stay with permission to work on this ground as its a longer visa and hopefully she will be entitled to something! She has a pps number so why cant she claim SW? She needs her own financial security. When the young lad is older she will look for a job which she really wants to do. Who wants to sit around doing nothing!

TruthSeeker
Tks for the feedback but I dont see what "rights" you refer to. If you could rattle off a few I'd appreciate it, ie. hypothetical circumstances whereby being married would favour me over not being married. Marriage is an institiution....umpf!
I've seen this "mediation" in progress, it aint pretty and its not balanced, men always get burned. This is not speculative, this is observation, guys in my job, friends etc...
Answer to your final question, to live together freely to do what each other wants to do, when they want to do it is feedom to me. As I said before I have no loyalty to a any church and marriage being called an institution kinda puts the flame out in the romance. I dont need no instution, be it religous or government quango to tell me how to live nor do I still see any benefits for me as a man to get married. Marriage for me was alway a sacret religious ceremony and should never have been allowed to be hijacked by the government. You get married to the church and then married to the state. This baloney sits ok with you lot?

Joey, I appreciate the few words, I understand but I have a complicated situation. I am and always will be a law abiding tax paying serf, have been since starting work at the age of 14, never claimed a cent on SW and will continue till I retire at 100 (by the time I reach retirement) by which there will be no state pension fund left (see Argentina). Will check out Treoir, tks for the tip.

Rubyanne, I'll keep my ear to the ground for that one!

All in all I think it is an interesting topic and I for one am learning a lot!

Will keep you posted...!

Small update for those interested

My partner has stamp4 based on being a partent to an Irish child see the recent case

[broken link removed]

Whiles she is entitled to stay she is not entitled to any Job Seekers or any state benefit and I'm not entitled to tax credits, in fact, I'm to loose one. C'mon Ireland!

Back