Single Mother and Rent a Room Scheme.

ryan-neil

Hi,

I am away from my apartment quite a bit with work lately and am considering renting a room to a friend under the rent a room scheme. Actually my room (will be moving into smaller double bed room) to a friend who is a single mother, currently she is living in a crap bedsit, my concern is can she do this or does she have to rent the entire apartment in which case she cannot move in as it could mess up my trs and could there be possible implications for my tax relief on my mortage and her single mothers allowance etc (Or what ever t is called). Really it would be ideal to have a friend there who i would know would look after my place and the few extra euro to pay towards my own bills. I am often away for three or four weeks at a time with work. Any advise as to issues or things to be considered would be appreciated.

Thanks

Do you mean could she be constrained to renting a full property because of her One Parent Family Payment? Can't imagine that this would be the case but SW or their website might clarify. From your point of view as long as the property is genuinely your PPR then you can avail of the rent a room scheme as long as the rental income is under €7,620 p.a.

Back