Laya Simply Health Excess

cloughy

We are a family of 2 Adults and 2 Children (11&8), currently on Simply Health Excess, as ex Employer used to cover, but looking to take out own cover as working for myself. Have been insured all our lives with either VHI/Laya (currently 2 yrs with Laya)

We are in general healthy, with only occasional visits to GP/Physio.

Looking at our renewal ant existing policy is €3400, so looked at the likes of Laya Flex 250/175/125 and prices for family are €1900/€2274/€2780, so on first look they seem to offer similar cover allbe it with a slightly bigger daily excess (up to 75 per night) / per claim (up to 50 per claim) if admitted to Private hospital.

I know that day to day excess is €150/450 on these Flex v's €1 on the Simply Health excess policy, but I dont see the benefits of this as against the significantly reduced premium.

What I want is to ensure cardiac cover and orthapedic if needed, but day to day refund ofmedical costs not a big concern, and happy with the €150/450 ind/family excess for this type of refund. Given that the savings range from €1500/€650, are we mad to reduce to one of these Flex policies.

Any thoughts and thanks in advance,

cloughy,

When is your renewal date?

The Flex range of plans with Laya are highly recommended and you would not be mad to change to one of these policies.
The Flex Explore, Plus and Choice range all have the same 3 levels of hospital cover as before, public,private and hi-tech hospital cover.
The Plus and Choice range would have better day to day gp etc cover, if required.
A good alternative worth looking at is Simply Connect, price from 1st March 1069pa; 3 levels of hospital cover as before, also includes day to day
cover with a 1 euro excess.

Also, since 1st March 2016, Laya have a childrens offer on 7 plans; just pay for the 1st child and any subsequent children are free.
Flex 125 Explore, Plus and Choice or Flex 175 Explore are best recommended.
[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Thanks snowyb, my renewal was yesterday, but I had done research last week, and in the end went with flex 250 for us, and renewed on-line (new policy) to get teh 10% discount, and then saw the second child free on Flex 125, so emailed Laya to change the boys to this 125 policy, as it was cheaper overall due to only paying for 1 child, but with lower excess if they are admitted to hospital. All in All this should cost just under €1,800 for the 4 of us, so a considerable saving from the previous policy (€1,600), so happy to take the higher excess and no day to day cover for this saving, as even teh higher policies had daily excess of about 150/175 so the additional is only 100/75 a night should we get a private room in a private hospital, as covered semi-private in a private hospital.

I did look at Simply connect, but think there is not a lot to be gained for the additional cost, unless there is a lot of day to day medical costs, which touch wood we have not incurred.

Thanks again for your comments on the policy choice.

Back