Laya Simply connect renewal

Familyof3

Hi All,

Apologies for the long post.
We just got our renewal today. Our date is 1st feb. 2 adults on simply connect and 1 soon to 3 year old on simply connect plus at a cost of roughly €213.14 per month or €2,557.66 per year.

I am really happy with these plans. We are hoping to add to our family soon and hope to go semi private or private. I noticed VHI have a company plan Plus 1.3 which was a similar price but gave €50 more back from consultants and €100 towards pre natal screening.

I rang vhi today about company plan plus 1.3 as it has €150 more money back for maternity. They recommended a new plan pmi4316 instead (€1131.71 per adult). Can't find any info on it though but similar to company plan plus 1.3. The half price kids offer on one plan complete will be available too €164.50 for my son but no real chance of claiming day to day on it.

I looked at simplicity too as it is a few euros cheaper but day to day excess is €100 or €200 per family.We would all really need to move to it to claim back day to day. €208.67 per month or €2504.04 per year. When sorting out day to day receipts could I put in maternity first so that covers family excess then put in say gp ones even if they occurred before maternity? If that makes sense!

Any help would be really appreciated!! Or alternative plans would be great too! Day to day we have put in receipts of about €1000 between us and got around €450 back so far this year. My son claimed back for vaccines and dentist €150, I claimed back for 2 gps and 1 dentist €75 and my husband claimed back for 1 gp, 2 consultants and tests €225 I had one day case in a public hospital so far this year.

Can my son stay with laya by himself or does an adult need to stay with him?

Thanks a million.

Last edited:
Not much information available on PMI 4316, doesn't show up on the plan comparison part of HIA site.
Searching the VHI website for PMI 4316 draws a complete blank. That really should be illegal.

There's some limited information available here:
http://www.hia.ie/news/vhi-release-new-plan-pmi-43-16-31122016

Vhi Healthcare will release a new plan, PMI 43 16 (€1131.64 per adult per year) on 31 December 2016. This plan covers a semi-private room in a private hospital with an excess of €150 per inpatient claim and €50 per day case claim. There is full cover for cardiac procedures and 90% for special procedures in the Blackrock Clinic, Mater Private and Beacon Hospital with an excess of €150 per claim. Specified orthopaedic procedures are covered 80% in private hospitals. There are outpatient benefits typically providing €25 x 7 visits for practitioners such as GPs, Dentists or Physiotherapists, as well as significant maternity outpatient benefits.

And the following VHI plans have 50% for children for January renewals:
http://www.hia.ie/news/vhi-healthcare-special-kids-offer-31122016

Remember if you are switching to a policy with higher coverage, there may be waiting periods so I would check with the company directly about that.
If you are switching health insurance plans, a maximum waiting period may be applied to any higher benefit on the new plan.
For contracts taken out since 1 May 2015, the maximum waiting period is 2 years (for contracts before that date a longer waiting period of 5 years could be applied to people aged over 65). For maternity benefits, the maximum waiting period is 52 weeks.

Not much information available on PMI 4316, doesn't show up on the plan comparison part of HIA site.
Searching the VHI website for PMI 4316 draws a complete blank. That really should be illegal.

There's some limited information available here:
http://www.hia.ie/news/vhi-release-new-plan-pmi-43-16-31122016

Vhi Healthcare will release a new plan, PMI 43 16 (€1131.64 per adult per year) on 31 December 2016. This plan covers a semi-private room in a private hospital with an excess of €150 per inpatient claim and €50 per day case claim. There is full cover for cardiac procedures and 90% for special procedures in the Blackrock Clinic, Mater Private and Beacon Hospital with an excess of €150 per claim. Specified orthopaedic procedures are covered 80% in private hospitals. There are outpatient benefits typically providing €25 x 7 visits for practitioners such as GPs, Dentists or Physiotherapists, as well as significant maternity outpatient benefits.

And the following VHI plans have 50% for children for January renewals:
http://www.hia.ie/news/vhi-healthcare-special-kids-offer-31122016

Remember if you are switching to a policy with higher coverage, there may be waiting periods so I would check with the company directly about that.
If you are switching health insurance plans, a maximum waiting period may be applied to any higher benefit on the new plan.
For contracts taken out since 1 May 2015, the maximum waiting period is 2 years (for contracts before that date a longer waiting period of 5 years could be applied to people aged over 65). For maternity benefits, the maximum waiting period is 52 weeks.
Thank you for replying Odyssey. I am waiting for vhi to update their website for info on pmi4316. The guy said it's basically the company plan plus 1.3 but only 7 gp visits not 12?
I don't think it is an upgrade in cover but if I switch back to laya they said they could make me wait for orthopaedic etc if I get a pre existing condition. Maternity consultants are considered day to day benefits which are automatic benefit. I would be interested in finding out the max claims cap for day to day. :)

Hi sorry if wrong thread just looking for info.
Am with Laya many years but the cost per month now is over €190.00 per month. Am worried about changing as I have an on chronic illness hospital stay about 3/4 times a year I go in for about 3/4 days n this is ongoing.
Do you have to wait 2 years before you can be treated in hospital?
Do other policies fair better than Laya company plus no excess?
Thank you

Hi Suzanne,

You should consider Laya's Simplicity plan as an alternative. It is 1090 per year but you will be liable for some excesses. There is a 50e excess per day case. And a 100e excess for hospital stays, but only on the first two claims per year. So based on the above information you would need to set aside several hundred euros in 2017 to cover your expected excess costs - but you should still save versus your current plan.
Other than that, I don't see much difference between the two plans (you can check for yourself on the HIA.ie website via their Compare Plan link).
Actually the out patient benefits on Simplicity are superior to that of your current plan so if you will get more money back for things like GP visits (50% rather than a flat 20e).

You are already a Laya member, so you have already served any waiting period I assume? The only waiting period that would apply is if you went to a plan with higher cover, but that is not the case here. In theory if you ever switched back to a no excess plan there could be a waiting period for some of its higher benefits to become active - Laya agent on the phone would be able to clarify that for you.

Some people like the reassurance of a no excess plan though - knowing that they will not be liable for further charges - so this might be one to discuss with a professional health insurance broker.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back