Simplify my pensions?

Michael01

I have a few different (small) pensions from various contract roles in my career – summary below;
  • DC pension – value approx. €2.5k (after college and was on lower tax). Company (commercial semi-state) have written to me recently asking me if I want to withdraw the money or move it somewhere else as I think they currently pay the mgt fees for same.
  • DB pension with University – 3 years service – will have to dig out more information on this as I have no idea on value. (was earning approx. €55k p.a over the 3 years)
  • DC pension – approx. value €12k. This one is the only one where I get regular updates from pension provider as it is in my name and old employer used to contribute to.
  • DB pension with commercial Semi-state – approx. 1 year service @ €70k p.a
  • Current pension – Single Public Service Pension Scheme – 4 years service @ €83k p.a

Questions:

With regards to no 1 above, would I be correct in assuming it makes sense to withdraw this money now (paying the lower tax due at time) and using the remaining €2k as an AVC now that I am paying higher rate of tax?

In general, any advice on how best to approach my pensions to try and simplify things? Have been approached about moving to a new organisation but am starting to think that I need to sort out my current pension situation before looking to add to the list.

Generally not in favour of paying tax on something when you don’t need to. I also wouldn’t worry about your former employer (from DC1) and management charges, as it’s probably coming straight off your fund.

I suggest talking to an advisor about combining the 2 DC schemes into a BOB/PRSA, this transfer will not trigger any tax clawback.
The first and second DB‘s probably are not worth much (due to short service) and you could move the transfer value to the same vehicle as the DCs, but you might lose some of the added DB benefits (spouse/dependants pension, inflation increases etc), and lose the ability to retire different funds at different times when you retire.

Back