Signing: both parties needed?

lucylou

Just a quick question, if i am signing for a house with my partner do both myself and my partner have to be there to sign? Our solicitor said something about us both not being needed? THis came up as i was due to be on hols when we signed, but now we extended the closing date til i got back? What i want to know is, if my partner got a call from the vendor when i was away saying they were ready to go, could he sign without me? We'r both on the mortgage.

If you are both named on the mortgage and/or property deeds then I would have expected that you would both need to be present to sign. These are legally binding documents and I would have assumed that the individuals named would each have to sign. Unless, perhaps, if you are married and one spouse can sign on behalf of both?

mu husband and I signed contract last week, I asked the same question of solicitor, both names on mortgage and both owning house. We were told both of us had to sign contract, and we also had to sign in solicitors office, couldnt post to us.

didnt really understand the last part, thought could get someone else to witness it.

Back