"Signal Strength Low" - Does it matter?

deadwood

I'm fairly new to this area so forgive me for asking what has surely been asked and answered a million times.
I have Eircom wireless broadband (2Mb, If that's the right term).
I installed a wireless router (card type with the aerial attached) on my desktop and the laptop has built in wireless. The wireless modem is inside the front door where the phone socket is, sitting on a hall table. The desktop is the other end of the hall about 15' away.
The laptop usually shows 3/4 "bars" on the signal strength and seems to perform ok.
The desktop always shows "signal strength low" when I switch it on but still seems to do ok.
As far as I can tell, they're both performing adequately -youtube and news clips seem ok.
Should I be trying to get "very good" signal strength and would this improve performance OR does any signal strength do the job?

Thanks in advance....again.

The higher the signal strength the better the throughput up to the theoretical maximum of 11Mbps or 54Mbps. If the signal strength is constantly low then try moving the router nearer or away from obstacles to see if it alters things. Maybe also make sure that the latest drivers are installed. However if things at a higher level (e.g. YouTube, browsingetc.) seem to be working OK then perhaps it doesn't really matter?

Update: lots more tips online if you .

Thanks Clubman.
I've moved the modem around alright but this doesn't seem to make any difference. The laptop performs consistently throughout the house.
A few times the desktop has shown "very good" signal, but with no discernable improvement in performance. In saying that, the desktop is a homemade one my brother made for me 5 or so years ago. Would this make a difference?

I use the desktop mostly for photos/printing, itunes and other downloads and the laptop for getting exellent advice on this site!

This issue isn't really putting me out, I just want to get the best performance from the p.c. I think i'll go to a shop or internet cafe to see what high performance wireless broadband should be like and see if i'm missing out.

You might also check that the desktop is actually connecting to your wireless broadband rather than a neighbours:eek:. (Although it should really connect to the strongest signal you never do know!) Check your connection screen to see if there is more than one wireless signal available to the desktop!

You might also check that the desktop is actually connecting to your wireless broadband rather than a neighbours:eek:. (Although it should really connect to the strongest signal you never do know!) Check your connection screen to see if there is more than one wireless signal available to the desktop!
It's mine alright. Thanks though - worth checking.

Back