sign on question

pillowtalk

Hi

I am receiving jobseekers benefit (based on stamps) since November. I have a child and I am due to sign on tomorrow, is it possible to bring him with me? Normally my mother would look after him but is sick.She will do when i return to work (waiting for the outcome of some interviews)
Or should I let them know, as they may see that i am not available for work tomorrow and have to deduct me....any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just because you have your child with you doesn't mean you are unavialable for work as if you had a job offer surely you could avail of babysitting so why would they expect you not to have the company of your child while awaiting a job offer?

The local office could see it like that as child minding is a big issue for unemployed people going back to work. they might question you.They would only dock you if you infrom them you are not available for work for that day.

Don't forget that if you qualify for Jobseeker's Allowance/Benefit then you need to divulge the existence of your child anyway in order to get incremental qualified child payment (€11 half rate or €22 full rate - see here) on top of the normal payment. I cannot see Welfare discriminating against you simply based on the fact that you have a child. In fact I presume that this would be illegal. What matters is whether or not you are genuinely available for and seeking work.

The notion that "they" (i.e. Local Office staff) operate like the gestapo is laughable! Of course you can bring your child with you. Some offices even have toys to occupy them while you do your business. Imagine that! Most working there have shildren of their own even adn don't look on a child as a "burden" to getting employment. Why do people look on SW staff as ogres? They are human too!

PS. For info. I am a manager in a Local Office. i find the attitude of some posters to us as very interesting!

Back