Sick pension and sick leave?

Slaphead

Just a quick query about a situation my mother is in.

She's in her mid 50's and has had arthritis nearly for 30 yrs now, she worked in our own shop up until 10yrs ago, full time more or less as well as being a full time mother. They sold the shop and she went back to nursing and has since then being working 20 hrs/ week or so, nights, fair play to her it has to be said.

I live in abroad and i know the story over here is that she would have been given the pension when she first got diagnosed in her 20's. Believe me i know 20 yr old pensioners over here!

What im wondering is is she not entitled to 50% sick leave, pension or something as they would be over here? I told her to enquire about this but she doesnt want to as she's afraid they'll tell her she cant work and will make her stay at home, she loves her work and doesnt want to risk this. She's happy enough with the money, doesnt really need more but i reckon she's deserved it and should take it if she can.

Anyone know if there is anything she can get??

It's all means tested i presume? Where i live they'll calculate what your your income would be full time (ie her wage at 50% x2) and give you the difference.
Meaning that you get a near full time wage even if you work on 50% but have a medical diagnosis that stops you from working fulltime.

First question is what class of PRSI is your mother paying? If she is a nurse, it is either Class A or Class D, depending on her contract. It should state the class being paid on her payslip.

Class A: this covers her for disability benefits (sickness benefit). When you talk about "pension", you are probably talking about Invalidity Pension which is also covered by Class A and persons with long term illness, but she should check out the qualifying conditions regarding number of contributions paid.

Class D: This would not cover her for sickness benefit/invalidity pension.

Back