Sick pay

G

GrahamP

A friend has been working for a company 4days a week, 8hrs a day the last 9months. Last week she was out sick for 2days. She was told by her employer that they were not obligated to pay her while she was out. Is this true and when are you entitled to sick pay? Thanks

Unfortunately for your friend I think the employer is correct:

but your friend might be entitled to Disability Benefit:.

ajapale

We did a Employee Rights course courtesy of our employer a number of years ago. It is 100% correct that you are not entitled to be paid by your employer while sick. Obviously, most do.
We couldn't believe it....you have all these other rights, but then if you are genuinely sick you have no right to get paid....we found it very weird

sick leave

Note disability benefit will not be paid for the first 3 days of any period of illness (called waiting days).

And if you think no statutory entitlement to sick leave is bad, there is no statutory entitlement to compassionate leave either.

Morbidly enough you can claim Force majeure leave for attending the beside of a close relative (provided your presence is essential), but if they pass away it's back to work.

In my experience positions that get paid overtime don't get sick pay and positions that don't get paid overtime do get sick pay. I don't know why though...
Why should your employer pay you sick pay? If you smoke and don't look after yourself why should someone else have to pay you for your bad habits?
I don't know of any company that won't pay compassionate leave for the death of a close family member.

In my experience positions that get paid overtime don't get sick pay and positions that don't get paid overtime do get sick pay.

Hi purple, This doesnt follow. There are companies who have no sick pay scheme and and have employees on paid overtime as well as employees on unpaid overtime.

But I see where you are coming from, traditionally salaried staff (i.e. those on an a fixed annual salary) also had a sick scheme where as those (largely blue collar) workers on an hourly rate did not have a sick scheme. Most hourly workers are entitled to paid overtime whereas only some salaried workers are entitled to paid overtime. I hope this makes sense.

ajapale

If you smoke and don't look after yourself why should someone else have to pay you for your bad habits?

So the only people who get sick are smokers and those that do not look after themselves??? Based on this kind of 'logic', there are plenty of people out there who can expect to live long and healthy lives.

If you are not entitled to sick pay, is it possible that you can claim off PRSI for lost earnings while sick?

Back