Sick pay entitlements.

carmody

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone would have advice about sick pay entitlements. I have been working for a small firm for 1 year now and anytime I was out sick last year, I was paidv (I had 5 Certified days in a year). Last week I came down with bad chest and stomach infection ad have been on 3 antibiotics, I went back to Doctor and was told to stay out for an extra week. I was paid last week but have been told that I will not be paid this week as its a 2nd continuous week.

As it is a small firm we do not have a HR Dept and I would not have signed any contracts. I was never told either way at any stage that I would/would not be paid when sick. I'm wondering if this is normal considering I am there a year and my sick leave has been certified by my GP.

Thanks.

(From oasis.gov)
In general there is no existing employment law in Ireland on the issue of sick pay or sick leave. Consequently, it is at the discretion of the employer to decide his/her own policy on sick pay and sick leave, subject to the employee’s contract or terms of employment.

More info from

Yep sadly, especially in small companies, no sick pay is normal. No matter how ill or certified it is, the company can decide to pay or not. Mine will pay for the odd day or so but if you become really ill - tough!! Rotten I know but theres always the public service!! Know people there who use their casual sick days like annual leave lucky or what!!

If your doctor has certified you sick, you should apply for Disability Benefit
[broken link removed]
If he just gave you a note for your employer, but not a big pink form for the social welfare, you'll need to go back & ask for one to apply with

However, you do have an entitlement to a written contract, regardless of how small your employer is.

Could anyone advise on what the 'norm' is for paid sick absence in a medium size finance/IT company?
A friends company has just introduced a new policy of max of 5 days per year - does this seem below/above average? It is a private company. I am aware they do not have to pay any sick pay at all, but just wondered what was the average. Where I work, unless you really took the mick, you would get paid. As in, one employee had 10 sick days last year and was paid for all of them. Most employees only take 3 or 4 a year max.

Can my friend refuse to sign this new policy? His original contract just states 'will be paid at the discretion of the company'.

Bluebean said:
Where I work, unless you really took the mick, you would get paid. As in, one employee had 10 sick days last year and was paid for all of them. Most employees only take 3 or 4 a year max.
In my company, 10 days would be the average - people with 30 days sick are the ones taking the mick!! It really annoys me though, as everyone is paid for these sick days and people really just take advantage.

In a company I used to work (it was an american company), they would only allow you 10 sick days per year, and only pay 5 (of course, if certified). As the air conditioned there was really strong, I used to get sick a lot, and even my doctor recommended me to look for another job. Anyway, even when my days where almost all certified, I didn't get paid for a lot of them. Mind you, at least you know in advance what is the policy.

Back