Sibling moving into Family Home

molly23

Question with regard to a sibling moving into family home after both parents die. Sibling has took up residence in family home after a parents death. It was previously discussed with parent prior to death without anybody else present and parent supposedly agreed. Noting was put in writing. The sibling has said that they are covering all bills and are not obliged to pay anything else ie: Rent to other siblings. They have said they are only there for a short period and won't say how long a period that will be. They also have the proceeds of the sale of their previous home. Where do the siblings stand on this matter ?

Hi molly23,

Welcome to AAM.

As POC says you probably need to provide more information with regard to the Will etc.

It would be best if you spoke about this to the solicitor dealing with the estate.

@molly23 reading between the lines it would seem nobody witnessed the conversation(s).

The suggestion to contact a solicitor is good advice.

However the family could agree a tenancy for a defined period and of course the sibling is obliged to pay rent and there could be RTB and Income Tax issues potentially as well. Were the intentions to sell? Nothing stopping that going ahead except below.

The sibling could contest the will - under s117 of Succession Act 1965 - and the estate may have to pay the legal costs. The challenge would be along the lines that parents failed to provide properly for sibling.

Did the sibling have a history of looking after the parents as opposed to the rest? This would make it easier to claim the parents promised the house. What did the rest hear?

I note you said sibling has the proceeds of a previously sold house.

Quite a few complicated issues hence why my fellow posters are suggesting a solicitor.

It is a good idea from a security point of view to have someone in the house rather than leave it empty and a caretaker agreement should be drawn up.
But it will be the will that will determine what happens and I highly doubt a "she/he said" would be a valid argument.

Grant of probate is taking about 6 months at present, so you could have a caretaker agreement til August.

I think what was meant was there any stipulation about selling the property or was it just share my estate equally

@molly23 reading between the lines it would seem nobody witnessed the conversation(s).

The suggestion to contact a solicitor is good advice.

However the family could agree a tenancy for a defined period and of course the sibling is obliged to pay rent and there could be RTB and Income Tax issues potentially as well. Were the intentions to sell? Nothing stopping that going ahead except below.

The sibling could contest the will - under s117 of Succession Act 1965 - and the estate may have to pay the legal costs. The challenge would be along the lines that parents failed to provide properly for sibling.

Did the sibling have a history of looking after the parents as opposed to the rest? This would make it easier to claim the parents promised the house. What did the rest hear?

I note you said sibling has the proceeds of a previously sold house.

Quite a few complicated issues hence why my fellow posters are suggesting a solicitor.
Thanks just awaiting a meeting with the solicitor dealing with the estate. Care of parent was done equally
It is a good idea from a security point of view to have someone in the house rather than leave it empty and a caretaker agreement should be drawn up.
But it will be the will that will determine what happens and I highly doubt a "she/he said" would be a valid argument.

Grant of probate is taking about 6 months at present, so you could have a caretaker agreement til August.
Great advice. Thank you

As long as the sibling who is residing in the house is not contesting the will and is agreed to sell the house then this is a super idea as suggested for security/insurance reasons. I would not be pushing for any lease or documental agreement. They should be reminded to keep the place in good shape for viewings of course when the time comes. Who is the executor(s) ? You say you are meeting the solicitor which suggests you may be one of them ?

Thanks for all the advise. Sibling has a long history of manipulation and just wanted to get some questions together before meeting the solicitor. I am one of the executors and they previously removed themselves as an executor without reason, Lots of family politics involved so I feel things need to be documented legally so no further issues arise.

I wonder what the "occupant" might say, if one or more other siblings also elected to move in to the house, "for the short term".?

If the sibling in occupancy is holding cash from the sale of their former property, is it possible that the want to buy the former family home (and do they have the means to buy it?) ?

It might be worth having the conversation...

Thanks for all the different inputs, The sibling has no intention of buying the house and says that they are only their due to neccessity. The fear is that they will splurge their funds from previous home and then not be in a position to go anywhere o_O

Back