Shower Doors

Jools600

I am hoping to move into my new house in the next 3 weeks.
My question is regarding the fitting of the shower door. The builder won't fit it due to possible future hassle with the waterproofing etc.
My question is: Are they easy to fit yourself? Its just a door and an extra panel going from wall to wall.
If not would I perhaps ask the plumber that the builder uses or if someone has been in the same position advise what solution they came up with.
Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks

My old house had shower doors fitted which I didn't realise until we moved in and it saved a few coppers, a nice surprise. However after 5 years I would avoid them, we spent ages keeping them clean and scrubbing them. They did the job of waterproofing.

Since moving house we opted for a shower curtain which does the job and gets bunged in the washing machine every few months, much cheaper and easier to keep.
If you are still interested in the doors they are easy enough to fit but be careful

Is your shower upstairs or is the house a bungalow? If it's upstairs, then I definitely wouldn't recommend a shower curtain (particularly if you have kids) as the risk of water getting out of the shallow shower basin and damanging ceilings below etc. is high.

We got the plumber to fit some doors for us recently - he did a great job and only charged E30 - well worth it! He's also a whizz at drilling into tiles, which I wouldn't attempt.

Heiton's Hardware Stores - I think they're all over the country - will get you any size door you need.

Make sure you measure the space AFTER you have tiled.
I know the door widths are ajustable but a few mm can make a big difference!

Good point delgirl, but I assumed the floor would be have tiles or lino or some other floor covering as having a wooden floor in a room with water is a no no anyway

Thanks for the replies.

I have already bought the doors but I am not very comfortable with the drilling into the tiles part. Since the shower is upstairs I think a shower curtain. although being a great idea, with kiddies it could be risky.
I think I'll ask the plumber to fit and see what he says.
Thanks again.

Back