Health Insurance "Should you declare as a private patient in a public hospital?"

They may have been moved to a 'single occupancy' rather than 'private' room in this instance. No doubt charged against insurance as a 'private' room though. Hospitals will have some single occupancy rooms where they can move move people who are highly contagious or dying, regardless or insurance.

I just spoke with someone who deals with this stuff on a day to day basis.

She said that patients with private health insurance are only charged extra if they're in private or single rooms.
In 2011 the government announced the policy on charging for public beds

[broken link removed]

Health insurers will have to pay for all private patients who end up in a public hospital under moves proposed by Minister for Health Dr James Reilly.

The repercussions of the change

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...care-announces-insurance-price-hike-1.2663396

It blamed the price increase on public hospital bed charges for private patients, saying they were “driving an unsustainable spike in the cost and volume of claims”.

No. but as a private patient we were told that there were no private rooms available so they put him in a public ward. When he tested for MRSA they suddenly had a private room.

1. Bronco, some hospitals show notices in a room where there is only a single patient. It does not necessarily mean that it is a private room. This would be the case for patients who have MRSA.

2. Consultants in their private capacity have call on a specific number of beds eventhough there are in public wards. Private prices obtain.

3. This matter was already discussed last year on another thread and Public Prices paid are refunded by the private health insurer later (I learnt something new then).

If you are admitted to hospital (A+E or other) please do not be afraid to ask questions and do not settle for half answers. There are some cynical posters on this thread and to be honest, I can't blame them. Sign nothing until all has been explained (easier said than done).

If you declare as a private patient in a public hospital you're stay will probably be longer as the hospital will be more than happy to gouge the health insurance company !

Until the health insurer reviews it's claims and suddenly decides to only pay for a certain number of days, leaving you to pick up the balance of the bill!

I just spoke with someone who deals with this stuff on a day to day basis.

She said that patients with private health insurance are only charged extra if they're in private or single rooms.

Just to clarify that this is not correct. From Citizens Information

upload_2016-9-2_16-11-49.png

Back