Laya Should we stay on Laya Control 600 Connect.

Bronco Lane

Frequent Poster
A couple of years ago we moved from one of the Laya Flex policies on the recommendation of snowyb to the Laya Control 600 Connect.

Our renewal is now due. I notice the cost of this policy has increased by just over €70 per head. Now €955. I don't think that there has been any material changes to the policy though.

snowyb. Have there been any new policies made available that offers similar cover for a lower price in the past two years that you know of from any of the providers?

Thanks, as always, for your input.

snowyb

Frequent Poster
Hi Bronco Lane,

Unfortunately, there are no cheaper plans with similar cover to Control 600 Connect.
However, as an alternative option with Laya, Control 600 Create plan @ price 1015pa will not change pricewise in November 2019.
I know it is 60 euro more expensive than 955 for your current plan, but there is more day to day cover included on this plan.
There is a refund of 80 per consultant visit and 30 per gp visit, plus a list of further day to day medical expenses. This may or may not be beneficial
to you, depending whether or not you have a medical card and/or if you incur many medical expenses in a given year.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCwxMDE1Ljk2XSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzEwOSwxMjMzLDEyNDhdLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Regards, Snowyb

Tintagel

Frequent Poster
Why is the cost of Control 600 Connect €910 on the comparison but €955 on the OP's renewal?

Bronco Lane

Frequent Poster
Thanks snowyb. That is interesting.

It seems I can get a refund for non emergency dental €150 per year?
Optical is covered €100 per year.

Does this mean my second routine visit to the my dentist for a dental clean (one free from social welfare) will effectively be paid for and my additional pair of glasses will be paid for when I visit my optician?

Just one last question if I may. I notice on the comparison above that the cost of Control 600 connect is €910.65. My renewal is asking me for €955.07.

Is this the usual rip off on renewal but cheaper price for "new" customers. If so, how do I get the lower price?

Sarn

Frequent Poster
Just to note, that going to their website directly today as a new customer gave me a quote of €880.80 with a start date of today.
Edit: Sorry, that takes into account a partial payment for the month. A full period quote is €955.07.

Last edited:

Sarn

Frequent Poster
Control 600 Create appears to have disappeared off Laya's site. The nearest is Control 600 Total, which could offer better value (€1004.57) than Control 600 Connect (€955.07) if you factor in the excess of €1 and up to €80 back in routine dental or a couple of doctor/physio visits.

WaterWater

Frequent Poster
If you move from Control 600 Connect to Control 600 Create are you upgrading your policy and is there a two year wait before you can make a claim re dental etc?

snowyb

Frequent Poster
Hi Bronco Lane,

Firstly, the plan Control 600 Create has been discontinued since July 2019 but the Health Insurance Authority still had it listed live on their comparison
site. To avoid confusion, I notified them to delete and update their system.

The next best alternative option is Laya Control 600 Total @ price 1004pa (price increase from 1st November 2019). The medical expenses are
lower on this plan, for example optical 60 refund per year and routine dental 80 refund per year. I queried these particular expenses with Laya and
the full refund amount applies if your bill is higher. So if your dental cost is 80 or more you will get the max refund of 80, it is NOT halved or restricted.
The same applies to optical.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw5NTguMjRdLCJtaW5NYXhFeGNlc3MiOlswLDYwMF0sInBsYW5UeXBlIjoxLCJwbGFuc1NlbGVjdGVkIjpbMTIxNywxMjQ4XSwicGxhbnMiOnsiZGF0YSI6W10sImxvYWRpbmciOnRydWV9LCJwbGFuc1NlbGVjdGVkRGF0YSI6W10sImFwcGxpY2F0aW9uIjp7InRvZ2dsZV9zY3JvbGxMb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Regarding the price of Control 600 Connect, there is a list of price increases with Laya from 1st November 2019, so that explains the 955 price in
your case.

https://www.hia.ie/news/laya-healthcare-price-updates-and-benefit-changes-01112019-02112019

Lastly, there is NO 2 year upgrade waiting time with Laya for this extra day to day cover, regardless of your age. Expenses are allowable from
renewal date.

Regards, Snowyb

WaterWater

Frequent Poster
Optical is covered €100 per year.
Thanks. I get a free eye test from Specsavers every two years. Do you know if the optical benefit on the Control 600 total covers the cost of Glasses or does it only cover the cost of the eye test?

snowyb

Frequent Poster
WaterWater,

Optical benefit with Laya does cover the cost of glasses. Note; Control 600 Create plan is no longer available since July 2019. So the nearest alternative
is Control 600 Total. Optical benefit is 60 euro less 1 euro excess = 59 per year.

Snowyb