Should we keep or knock back shed?

Toby

We are starting an extension project and are trying to decide whether or not to demolish our back shed at the same time or leave it. Its an old brick built thing and is positioned about 4 feet outside the kitchen window up against the side wall of our fairly small garden. It blocks a fair bit of light getting into the kitchen I reckon and means we're looking out onto half the shed instead of having a clear view into the garden.

So, we could get it knocked now and instead get a new wood shed at the back corner of the (approx 35ft long) garden or we could leave the brick one there for use as garden shed. Thing is, if we put a shed at the back of the garden instead is that just going to make our garden feel smaller? not to mention the additional cost of knocking the brick shed and buying a wood one. Opinions would be welcome, thanks.

My tuppence worth would be to knock it, particl. if its blocking light from your kitchen. If you build a small shed at the back of the garden it shouldn't make your garden feel any smaller, and at least you'll be able to enjoy the light and see your garden!!

I'd knock too, starting a similar project too, which will involve knocking an old boiler house and shed right beside the house. Not blocking much light (north facing garden) but makes the garden smaller and am going to change over to gas and move the boiler inside. Only problem is a shared chimney with next door whose boiler house is joined to ours (havent told them yet what the plans are). If it's blocking out light then I think you're better off well rid. A big sledge hammer would see it down in a matter of minutes. A foundation laid for the new shed could prob be dug by yourself so I;d say you could do it all relatively cheaply

Jack

I'd be knocking it too - especially as you have the room for one down the back of the garden - just get the builders sparky to bring electricity down to the new shed so that you can use it for utility etc. if needs be

Seeing as we're on a roll here IMHO it would be best to knock it down and get a new garden shed

Isn't it a pity that unfortunately we cannot move these type of buildings around as was stated in the newspapers recently - it appears to be too expensive an option?

Thanks - unanimous response there! I'm just torn. Our garden isn't very big and with kids lawn space is what we need most I think. We need a decent sized shed so moving it to the back of the garden will increase patio space but reduce lawn space and cut into the width of it at the back. Maybe we could bring the lawn right up to the house on that side......?

Back