Should we buy a home or continue to save?

800 a month on entertainment! Is it just me or is this an awful lot?

Might be an awful lot to some people - even a to lot of people but the chap is single,no kids,renting and is entitled to spend what he likes on entertainment... - I'd rather have my wifey and 2 boys though
;)

Well in the OP defence I'd say a lot of couple have spent €200 a week on entertainment, a couple of meals out, a movie, maybe a concert... its easy to rack up.

My tuppence for what its worth, I'd say see if you can both save €1k each per month for the next 12 months... that will get you to about €75k mark in savings, which is a significant deposit on your €300k house, and gives you wriggle room for furnishing / kitting out, without having to depend on credit.
I'd also agree on putting in place an agreement at the start on what happens if it all goes wrong (hopefully not, but...). Define now what would happen, would you buy her out or she you?
Also check what would happen if you were to start a family in the next 2-3 years, can you easily service a mortgage on 1 salary?
For the rest, good luck to you both.

If you are serious about this , then you should be able to live on one salary and save the rest. You can still have a good time and the payback will be a small morgage in two years time. Sit down with the bills , see where you are prepared to economise. Set you a treat/holiday account, a bills account and a joint savings account which you can look at monthly to cheer you up. With very good jobs that potentially may not be there next year, whilst Im not saying live like hermits, if you save hell for leather , you'll be in a great position for whatever.

mell61Re: Should we buy a home or continue to save?
Well in the OP defence I'd say a lot of couple have spent €200 a week on entertainment, a couple of meals out, a movie, maybe a concert... its easy to rack up.

I agree with this but the 800 relates to the op alone, he posted that amount explaining where his wages goes every month. If his girlfriend was spending the same then it would be 1600 a month (19,200 per annum!) on entertainment and I for one would love to know what they get up to :p I don't think that anyone is really that serious about saving when they budget 800 a month for entertainment.

I agree with this but the 800 relates to the op alone, he posted that amount explaining where his wages goes every month. If his girlfriend was spending the same then it would be 1600 a month (19,200 per annum!) on entertainment and I for one would love to know what they get up to :p I don't think that anyone is really that serious about saving when they budget 800 a month for entertainment.
Thanks for all the updates.
800 a month on entertainment is a lot and I have now started to cut back on this big time. Im now planning on just one meal out a month and fewer nights in the pub, i reckon once a forthnight is enough. Im going to shop in cheap supermarkets and by drink there too. I hope to get a nice house in 2 years then with as little a mortgage as possible.

My tuppence for what its worth, I'd say see if you can both save €1k each per month for the next 12 months... that will get you to about €75k mark in savings, which is a significant deposit on your €300k house, and gives you wriggle room for furnishing / kitting out, without having to depend on credit.
I'd also agree on putting in place an agreement at the start on what happens if it all goes wrong (hopefully not, but...). Define now what would happen, would you buy her out or she you?
Also check what would happen if you were to start a family in the next 2-3 years, can you easily service a mortgage on 1 salary?
For the rest, good luck to you both.
good advice thank you

Back