Should Landlord or Tenants pay for home improvements

Chocaddict

Hi all. I own a property that I let out and always promptly pay for maintenance costs ( new appliances, fittings, carpets, painting etc) as well as occasional discretionary allowances. For example in the past I’ve paid for extra outdoor garden storage requested by the tenants as well as substantially reducing rent for 6 months (by 33%) when the tenants fell on hard times.
I value my tenants as they keep the house well and have been there for ten years.
My question is whether I should pay for their most recent request - installing a folding attic stairs. I feel it fair to offer to pay half? They’ve also requested a new carpet on the stairs which is no problem and I will obviously incur the costs for this but I feel the folding attic stairs is beyond what could be classed as maintenance and it wouldn’t necessarily add any value to the property. Thanks for reading

Your talking about 100-200 euro here too keep them happy.
If they pay half and later they move out will you return there share ?

I see it as adding value to the property
Doesn't cost too much maybe 1k
When they move out you will retain the value
So why not pay for it?

I see it as adding value to the property
Doesn't cost too much maybe 1k
When they move out you will retain the value
So why not pay for it?

Because there’s no obligation to do so.

If they want one, give them permission to fire ahead.

But a landlord isn’t an ATM for tenants to fulfill their redesign aspirations.

It’s taking the proverbial in my view.

Because there’s no obligation to do so.

If they want one, give them permission to fire ahead.

But a landlord isn’t an ATM for tenants to fulfill their redesign aspirations.

It’s taking the proverbial in my view.
I think it's debatable

return on investment

Let's say cost 1k

If they stay 3 years @1k per month=36k

Return on investment 36x

I'd you want then to stay then pay 1k

If you want them to move out then don't

What advantage to the tenant getting stira, if they are going to move out?

I wonder, if there is an accident involving attic access and there is a record of your failure to spend 200E on safety equipment, stiras are quite common these days and not considered luxury.
Treat it like a business and suck it up is what I suggest.
Never know, you might want access to yourself e.g. Plumbing, alarm fitting repair

I wonder, if there is an accident involving attic access and there is a record of your failure to spend 200E on safety equipment, stiras are quite common these days and not considered luxury.
Treat it like a business and suck it up is what I suggest.
Never know, you might want access to yourself e.g. Plumbing, alarm fitting repair
You might question why the tenants need access to the attic, it sounds like you don't have it floored. As noted above, I would argue it should only be accessed for plumbing and electrical works. Perhaps insulation works. And its not down to the tenant to do these types of works.
But if the tenants were intending to floor it out for storage I ( as a landlord) might be uncomfortable with that due to potential to damage ceilings if improperly carried out.
John

I feel like I’ve entered a parallel universe where tenants can pretend that they own a property and demand the things that they’d do if they owned that property.

I have always treated my tenants fairly, but of they asked me to fit a Stire/attic stairs, I’d say “fire ahead folks, I’ve no issue with that”.

First thing I thought of. Why would they need access to the attic? Maybe ask them?
Eh... for storage.. e.g..christmas tree decorations.old tenets 'crap'.... . No wait. Tenants are not allowed to have those.....

Your parents used attic storage long before word stira entered our lexicon

Thanks for the replies. The tenants already use the attic for storage but they want to be able to access it more easily as they are heading into their 50s.

It's your house. You pay for it.

Otherwise it gets awkward at end of tenancy when they might feel they are due something back as it has improved your house.

Then review the rent periodically in line with market norms and the legislation.

when they moved in they rented as seen.
I have a relative that paid €800 to insulate the wood latted ceiling in the kitchen, a couple of years later for no apparent reason the landlord evicted them. They could do with that money now.

Thanks for the replies. The tenants already use the attic for storage but they want to be able to access it more easily as they are heading into their 50s.
In those circumstances and given they're long term tenants I think you should have it installed. If it were me I'd get them to get a quote and deal with it themselves so you have no hassle other than paying.

Eh... for storage.. e.g..christmas tree decorations... No wait. Tenants are not allowed to have those....

If you supplied
In those circumstances and given they're long term tenants I think you should have it installed. If it were me I'd get them to get a quote and deal with it themselves so you have no hassle other than paying.
Good common sense advice

I'm glad Chocaddict joined the forum. Just think, if he hadn't (I don't think he's a she, most she's would willingly pay the €200 and be glad of the long term income from a trusted tenant). Paying for advice in the Rental Game doesn't come cheap - it's free here. [just another compliment from me to the founder and moderators).

First Rule for Renting Property:- The money doesn't always flow inwards.

I've shoved Fidel, Moneymakover, Bronte, NoRegretsCoyote up another notch in my opinion of good posters here. The others on this thread, I've moved them down two notches on my AAM League Table.

Last edited:
I think a responsible landlord should always pay for what the tenant needs.
But does the tenant need an attic stairs or just want it?

If I was @Chocaddict I’d hold off. Give a plausible excuse and play the ball back into the tenants’ court:
“Ohhhh, you’ve caught me at a bad time. I’m a bit strapped for cash at the moment and am reluctant to dip into the emergency account... ask me again in six months”.

I feel like I’ve entered a parallel universe where tenants can pretend that they own a property and demand the things that they’d do if they owned that property.

I have one rental property and the tenants do pretend that they own it, but they pay themselves for everything they put into it.
They’ve been there nine years, I replaced the fridge two years into the tenancy but they’ve paid for everything else since.

When they get new furniture they ask me what do I want to do with the old one. I either collect it or suggest they DoneDeal it.

Back