Should I switch some of my pension fund to cash as I approach retirement?

Spud50

Hi , my intention is to finish work next year (at 55) but not draw down my pension (currently >900k) till i am 60. My DC pension is currently invested at Risk level 6 global equites and i was wondering :

should i keep my pension at level 6 to age 60 and then derisk as part of the ARF with a mixture of equities and Bonds?

Should i keep it at level 6 indefinietly

Should i derisk it in the next 2 or 3 years

I dont really mind the ups and down of the stockmarket but there is a lot of wisdom and experience in this forum so id be interested to know if there is a standard Methodology that people adhere to.

To keep the maths simple I’m going to assume a 100% equity allocation and a €1m pension fund.

back in 2008 global equities dropped 40% and in March last year almost the same

so that’s a €400k downside from a higher risk strategy

what’s the upside

lets assume a 10% pa return

so you are adding at a rate of €100kpa but losing at a rate of potentially 4 times that.

if the market drops like it did in 2008 you could easily be down to €600k. Now your 10%pa return is only worth €60k pa to you and it will take a long time to recover back to your €1m and that’s especially true if you NEED to keep your income the same as before (See later post on volatility drag)

In principle you could have achieved a €60kpa return from a less risky portfolio say a 60%equity 40%bond mix. That would have also served you better in a bad year. A well-constructed balanced portfolio was down around 20% in 2008 whereas the market was down 40%.

as you get closer to retirement the drops hurt more than the gains so de risking makes sense to a point. Note I’m not suggesting selling everything and going to cash here.

This is absolutely critical once you start to draw on the fund a big drop hurts even more known as “sequence of return risk” so the strategy we advise is to reduce risk either side of the planned retirement date

E70bsxOWYActpF6

as set out in our guide to planning for retirement below

[broken link removed]

You should definitely seek independent advice and not the advice of the company administering the scheme.

a good adviser will pursue an asset location strategy which seeks to maximise the after tax returns from different asset classes.

you need to make sure you have sources of taxable income to make full use of your allowances between now and age 60.

if you don’t then drawing on the pension earlier might make more sense, if you do then deferring might make more sense.

a lot of this turns on your overall financial position which you haven’t disclosed.

because tax is so ridiculous in Ireland this means turning the approach on its head compared to other jurisdictions which is why you can’t use a US or U.K. website to inform your decisions

I set out below a working example of a prudently diversified ARF account going through the fall of March last year with no interruptions in income payments and just as importantly, no break down in investor composure.

1627317671912.png

And the asset allocation that generated these returns

1627317902236.png

Remember that the objective for an ARF should be to maintain the income payments to the investor for the whole of the rest of their life however long they might live, preferably in real terms allowing for inflation and generate an income which overall is at least as good as the annuity that they could have purchased at outset.

For most people, the goal is NOT to maximise the potential inheritance for the next generation at the expense of one's own financial security.

As you can see from that post we are not against investing in equities in an ARF far from it, many of the accounts we review are excessively conservative and our recommendation is generally to have more than 50% Equities in an ARF.

We are able to limit total equity exposure by over weighting stocks with higher expected returns such as high beta stocks, generally smaller companies, and stocks with high book to market or "value" stocks.

However, later in this thread is an assertion that a 100% equity strategy might be suitable and/or appropriate and to make matters worse the investments are in fact just 12 companies rather than an index fund which is frankly completely insane and significantly increases the risk far beyond the risk capacity of the vast majority of private investors.

We would consider such an approach to be reckless and therefore all subsequent debate on the matter irrelevant to the average investor in Ireland.

By way of an example using the US Market for the period January 1929 to December 1938

The annualised return of the US Market over this period was -0.89%pa a total return of -8.52%

However, the cumulative return to the end of 1932 was -64.22% that's losing 22.66%pa for 4 years.

That means a million invested at the start of 1929 was worth around 360,000 by the end of 1932!!

You would need a return of 278% just to get back to where you started just 4 years earlier.

To avoid a drop in income you would need to continue to take €40,000pa from the depleted pension fund making the annualised withdrawal now an unsustainable 11%pa.

I set out below several arguments why including an allocation to fixed interest or bonds makes sense for most if not all retirees with an ARF. In some posts this has been corrupted into a position of why would you hold 100% in cash? You wouldn’t of course; and that’s not what I’m arguing at all.

However, as is all too common on here the debate quickly descends into mud slinging.

I am blocking a large number of posters so don’t be surprised if many subsequent posts go unanswered, I’m ignoring them and so should you.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

[broken link removed]

Last edited:
Hi Spud50,
You should arrange to talk to someone from your pension advisor to discuss what your retirement options are.
At your stage in life you need specific advice for your circumstance as opposed to general advice. For example, if you intend to buy an annuity vs continue to invest in an ARF, then your best course of action is very different. Depending on how much of your pot you intend to take as a cash free lump sum will also make a big difference. Do you intend to have spent all of pot by the time you kick the bucket, or do you want to leave a substantial amount of your pot behind for your heirs? How long are you likely to live (based on current health and family history)? Are you willing to reduce your annual drawdown amount for years when the market is not performing well? There's too many variables. Your pension advisor will be in a much better position to guide you. You've been paying them fees for decades, its time they earned their money!

That said, let me lay some general advice. Assuming you are not buying an annuity and that you are taking a 25% tax free cash lump sum. With 5 years to retirement, you should get that 25% into a very stable bond fund as quickly as possible. then look at the remaining 75%. Is it already big enough for what you need or not? If it is big enough, then why take excessive risk? Derisk it down to 60/40 or even 50/50 equities.

I can't post links here, but if you search for "allocation advice for betterment portfolios" they have a really good article there.
If you intend to continue to self manage your portfolio in retirement, I would recommend you check out the Vanguard target date funds, and see what % of those are invested in equities. That's a great starting point.

With 5 years to retirement, you should get that 25% into a very stable bond fund as quickly as possible. then look at the remaining 75%. Is it already big enough for what you need or not? If it is big enough, then why take excessive risk? Derisk it down to 60/40 or even 50/50 equities.
Would that still be your advice if the OP has, say, €900k in cash savings outside his pension?

That said, let me lay some general advice. Assuming you are not buying an annuity and that you are taking a 25% tax free cash lump sum. With 5 years to retirement, you should get that 25% into a very stable bond fund as quickly as possible. then look at the remaining 75%. Is it already big enough for what you need or not? If it is big enough, then why take excessive risk? Derisk it down to 60/40 or even 50/50 equities.

I can't post links here, but if you search for "allocation advice for betterment portfolios" they have a really good article there.
If you intend to continue to self manage your portfolio in retirement, I would recommend you check out the Vanguard target date funds, and see what % of those are invested in equities. That's a great starting point.

That's nothing but marketing guff that was produced by some of the life companies. Secure the 25% lump sum. If the other 75% falls in value, the money in cash/ bonds will make up a higher percentage of the overall fund and the lump sum received will be lower. Say his 75% falls by 20%, he will have a fund of €765,000 instead of €900,000. His lump sum will then be €191,250 instead of €225,000, a loss of €28,750 (after taxes on excess).

They are US investments that aren't available here.

The OP needs to look at all his assets together and not in isolation. He obviously has other assets if he is retiring at 55 but doesn't need to draw down on his pension until age 60. With the ARF, the investment journey will continue on for decades to come so the real reason for derisking is to protect the tax free lump sum. There is no other reason except for people thinking that's what you are supposed to do because they still have a purchase annuity mindset where you need the biggest pot of money to purchase your pension for life.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

With the ARF, the investment journey will continue on for decades to come so the real reason for derisking is to protect the tax free lump sum. There is no other reason except for people thinking that's what you are supposed to do because they still have a purchase annuity mindset where you need the biggest pot of money to purchase your pension for life.
Hi Steven

I disagree that the only reason to de-risk a portfolio in the run up to retirement is to protect the tax-free lump sum. In fact, I think the tax-free lump sum is a complete red herring in these discussions.

It seems to me that the primary reason to de-risk a portfolio is to reduce the variability of returns on that portfolio. That becomes particularly important when you start spending down your portfolio in order to help preserve the longevity of the portfolio.

If you get a particularly bad run of returns in the early years of retirement, you could well find yourself running out of money later in life. The extent to which you can benefit from any subsequent market recovery will be limited by the fact that you have already spent a significant portion of your portfolio.

There is no way of avoiding sequence risk. However, you can mitigate the impact of a bad sequence of returns by diversifying into bonds in the run up to retirement.

Hi Steven,

I'm a fan of your posts, so please don't take the following attempt to deconstruct your argument as disrespect ;)

They are US investments that aren't available here.
I didn't say buy it. I said read it. It's an article detailing exactly what the OP is asking about, namely the effect of asset allocation and time horizon on risk. The math works the same in the US as it does here.

If the other 75% falls in value, the money in cash/ bonds will make up a higher percentage of the overall fund and the lump sum received will be lower. Say his 75% falls by 20%, he will have a fund of €765,000 instead of €900,000. His lump sum will then be €191,250 instead of €225,000, a loss of €28,750 (after taxes on excess).
Using your own example: 900K with 25% (225K) in bonds. Market falls 20% so pot now worth 765K, and you can take 191,250 tax free.
Versus, If you leave it as 100% equity and the Market falls 20%, the pot is now worth 720K, and you can take 180k tax free. The fact that you put 225K in bonds with the idea of taking it as a cash lump sum, does not force you to do so. Obviously you adjust based on market outcomes.

The OP needs to look at all his assets together and not in isolation.
That's exactly what I said! General advice here is not advisable for this OP. The only general advice I'm really trying to say is that at 55, with a 5 year time horizon till retirement, it's probably not ideal to be in 100% equities.

The only general advice I'm really trying to say is that at 55, with a 5 year time horizon till retirement, it's probably not ideal to be in 100% equities.
How do you know the OP is 100% in equities? He has only told us the allocation within his pension fund.

my intention is to finish work next year (at 55) but not draw down my pension (currently >900k) till i am 60
Therefore you must have other means

If you can live comfortably without your pension I'd say leave it at equities

If you need it in 5 years time (which you do), I'd say move a portion each year into low risk.

Decide what fraction you want in level 6 equities in retirement say 30%

Each year between now and age 60 move 10% to low risk

Draw down 25% in 5 years.

Remainder is split 70% low risk: 30% equities

The general approach I think is to move entirely out of equities before drawing down the lump sum which seems overly conservative to me.

Thanks for all the informative comments , there is a lot to think about ,
just to clarify my pension 100% of it is in Global equities , my intention is to set up an ARF and take the 200k Lumpsum only because my understanding is, it is tax free ,
i hope to have roughly 200K from savings and sale of shares by end of next year which im hoping will last me 4 or 5 yrs as i have no mortgage ,car loans , kids are nearly tru college etc., it will run out and i will have no other source of income other than the pension so i dont need to mess it up

Thanks for all the informative comments , there is a lot to think about ,
just to clarify my pension 100% of it is in Global equities , my intention is to set up an ARF and take the 200k Lumpsum only because my understanding is, it is tax free ,
i hope to have roughly 200K from savings and sale of shares by end of next year which im hoping will last me 4 or 5 yrs as i have no mortgage ,car loans , kids are nearly tru college etc., it will run out and i will have no other source of income other than the pension so i dont need to mess it up

if your pension is currently 900k then your lump sum is €225k

€200k of this Is tax free, the next €25k is only taxed at 20%

However, if you took an income from the pension of say 13,000pa then (assuming no other sources of income) you would pay no tax on this at all.

So you might be better off taking an ARF now and taking your €200k tax free lump sum plus an annual payment of €13k pa as, in principle, you would pay no tax at all on the payments

€13k pa from a remaining fund of around €700k is only 1.8%pa

that could allow you to get around €65k out tax free over 5 years just making use of your exemptions

Last edited:
if your pension is currently 900k then your lump sum is €225k

€200k of this Is tax free, the next €25k is only taxed at 20%

Howeverif you took an income from the pension of say 13,000pa then (assuming no other sources of income) you would pay no tax on this at all.

So you might be better off taking an ARF now and taking your €200k tax free lump sum plus an annual payment of €13k pa as, in principle, you would pay no tax at all on the payments

€13k pa from a remaining fund of around €700k is only 1.8%pa

that could allow you to get around €65k out tax free over 5 years just making use of your exemptions
Do you have to take 4% of the 700K

Apologies for coming late to this discussion, but my experience may be of interest to @Spud50. I emphasise that this is purely a personal story; I am not suggesting that anyone should do as I did.
I am now 'retired' over 10 years, i.e. I started taking an 'income' from my ARF just over 10 years ago (at the end of 2010). As I recall, there were some tax advantages to starting drawdown (and taking the tax-free lump sum) at that particular date, but that's irrelevant now.
For me, 'retirement date' was just a staging post on the retirement journey, not an end-point. I made no significant changes to my portfolio in the lead-up to 'retirement' nor afterwards. I was close to 100% in growth assets (essentially, equities) beforehand and remained close to 100% in them afterwards. Now, ten years later, I'm still close to 100% in equities; nothing in bonds.
The question of whether the market was elevated or depressed at my retirement date didn't really bother me, as it meant transferring equities from a tax-exempt account to a taxable one. It didn't matter much what their market value was at the time, as it was essentially an in specie transfer from one account to another.
The concept of 'sequence of return risk', which some commentators see as all-important, has no meaning for me. That is because I cash only a small proportion of my fund each month (I take the 'income' monthly). Thus, for example, @Marc gave the scare story of equities falling massively in March last. That's true, but I cashed only 1/12th of 6% of my ARF in March 2020 - and the market more than recovered the losses later in the year. Also, the 'income' comes almost entirely from dividends , so I didn't have to cash any investments at the prices prevailing in March. (It is worth clarifying that I invest in "real" companies, most of which pay dividends, rather than through funds, as I don't believe in paying so-called "experts" to manage my money, when those same "experts" have been shown to do worse than the market on average).
My decision to remain invested close to 100% in equites post-retirement has worked out OK. For every €1,000 in the ARF/AMRF at 'retirement date', I withdrew €700 over the following10 years* (see note at end, clarifying what this means), and the value of the remaining fund at end 2020 was €1,750. (It has since increased to close to €1,850, after withdrawing approximately one-twelfth of 6% each month in 2021). There were some bumpy periods during the ten years. In the very first year, for example (2011), I suffered a loss of close to 3%, but the risk of short-term loss is part of the reason the longer-term return has been good. I still see myself as a long-term investor, despite my advancing years.
Note on the €700 'withdrawn' calculation above.
The €700 is a combination of a number of different elements. At the core is the requirement to withdraw 6% of the prevailing market value of the ARF each year. I think the requirement was less than 6% for some of the early years. I also had an AMRF, which didn't have to be cashed until the SW pension amount exceeded a certain level. After that, I had to treat the AMRF as an ARF. Another complication is that I consolidated an insurance company pension account with my self-managed ARF part-way through. The "withdrawal" calculation is net of the amount transferred from the insurance company pension plan.

WARNING

To anyone reading the post above

sequence of return risk is a proven mathematical phenomenon which has been shown to cause the most damage in the early years of one’s retirement and in particular to those with high risk portfolios.

it makes absolutely no difference what the sequence of returns are while you are saving. It makes a huge difference when you are drawing. Colm, a retired Actuary should be aware of this mathematical fact.

just because the Stockmarket recovered quickly last year doesn’t mean that it always will.

For example, equities essentially went sideways for 14 years in the 1970s and early 80s. Colm, a retired Actuary should be aware of this historical fact.

Just because he has been lucky following what my learned friends in the Judiciary would consider to be an objectively imprudent strategy doesn’t mean that it can be applied universally - it’s a sample size of one for Pete’s sake hardly statistically significant.

Colm is hardly typical of a retiree since the average pension fund in Ireland is hardly €1.8m is it? Constantly pedalling the same story of one fortunate individual at the very least implies that he believed that this is the “best” approach for the population in general when it isn’t at all appropriate for many people.

It’s like Brian Waldon saying “this is not necessarily my opinion” and then being as rude as he wanted to Margaret Thatcher.

one might be willing to assume a high degree of investment risk (risk tolerance) but objectively what matters most and certainly from a regulatory perspective is an objective assessment of one’s ability to bear losses (risk capacity) many people will find with the benefit of hindsight that buying an annuity at outset may well have been a better decision.

In court any financial professional who was found to have “advised” their clients to pursue such a, from a fiduciary perspective, reckless approach, would be Judged by international standards of jurisprudence which ordinarily demand of professional advisers a more diversified investment strategy. Colm, a retired Actuary should be aware of this legal fact.

pursuing a high dividend investment approach has been shown in numerous studies to be sub-optimal to a total return approach.

if we just take miller and modigliani in classic finance theory it makes absolutely no difference to the expected return of a company if a dividend is paid or not.

just sometimes acknowledging that “so called experts” are in fact just plainly “experts” in their subject matter rather than pouring scorn might just lead to better decision making overall and avoid the consequences of such matters recently like,oh I don’t know, Brexit, the Global Pandemic - you know, avoidable catastrophic events, that sort of thing.....

Marc Westlake CFP®, TEP, APFS, EFP ,QFA
CHARTERED, CERTIFIED & EUROPEAN FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional
AND REGISTERED TRUST & ESTATE PRACTITIONER

Last edited:
I always smell a rat when someone produces a string of letters as long as your arm when arguing against me!
As I said at the start, I am not a financial adviser, so I'm not advising anyone to follow my lead. In fact, I don't know how anyone ever subjects themselves to the stresses of being a financial adviser. We all worry about our money, and get upset if we make a loss on an investment. For a financial adviser, there is the additional trauma that the client could blame you for the loss even though your advice to invest in something could be absolutely kosher in probability terms. The problem for the financial adviser is that they are on a hiding to nothing. The client is likely to apportion at least part of the blame to the adviser if things go wrong, but to take the credit themselves if things go right. This makes the adviser even more loss-averse than the client, because of the asymmetrical payoffs. Rather than it being the reverse (as it should be in a rational world), the client has often to overcome the adviser's loss aversion. There are some notable exceptions.
Anyway, I have read some of the stuff written about sequence of return risk ("studied" would be too grand a word for papers that have no real substance). "Pound cost ravaging" is a fancy way of saying the same thing. Everything I've read is completely artificial. For example, it assumes that everyone cashes their investments (to obtain an income) once a year rather than once a month as I do (or even once a quarter). Secondly, it completely ignores dividends and assumes investments are cashed every time. Thirdly, it assumes that retirees withdraw a specified amount each year rather than doing what is natural to all of us, of pulling in our horns a bit (giving a bit less to the grandchildren, etc.) if times are tough and splurging a bit if times are good. As soon as @Marc or anyone else produces a "pound cost ravaging" argument that looks at what happens in the real world as described above rather than in an academic's ivory tower, I'll start to take it seriously. Until then, I'll stick to the one that my academic and practical research has told me works well in all conditions.

The average pension fund in Ireland is hardly €1.8m is it?
@Colm Fagan didn't say that. He was just giving indicative figures.

Otherwise I tend to agree that he has been extremely lucky to ride near-uninterrupted equity bull run since retirement. He doesn't give us a broader picture of his lifestyle and assets (nor does he have to) but it may suit him personally.

I think his investment and withdrawal strategy would be far too risky for the average retiree with a pension fund in the low hundreds of thousands.

Otherwise I tend to agree that he has been extremely lucky to ride near-uninterrupted equity bull run since retirement. He doesn't give us a broader picture of his lifestyle and assets (nor does he have to) but it may suit him personally.

I think his investment and withdrawal strategy would be far too risky for the average retiree with a pension fund in the low hundreds of thousands.
Hi @NoRegretsCoyote You've hit on an important issue. During the discussion of my paper to the Society of Actuaries in January, one contributor said (and I'm paraphrasing - I hope I've got him right) that it was fine for affluent people like Seamus Creedon (who opened the discussion) and myself to leave our money in equities post-retirement, but ordinary savers couldn't take those risks; they had to put a high proportion of their savings in low-return, and supposedly low-risk assets like government bonds, eschewing the opportunity to earn a good return on their savings. The purpose of my paper was to make those high long-term returns available to all through an auto-enrolment scheme invested entirely in equities from cradle to grave, with returns smoothed to protect members from the risks of short-term (or not-so-short-term) equity underperformance.
I also agree that I have been relatively lucky. My a priori expectation (based on historic equity returns) was that the fund would now be worth around €1,000 or slightly less for every €1,000 invested at the start, after taking 6% a year. Instead, it's worth almost 85% more than that, and I've taken an income of more than 6% of my starting capital a year, on average.
Keeping costs as low as possible has also been an important element in the mix.

Back