Motor Should I reimburse insurance company if I have full no claims discount protection?

bsieb23

Hi,

I was recently in a minor accident and caused €825 damage to another car and no damage to mine. The accident was notified to my insurance company and an assessor was also involved. I did not have the option to settle with the person directly.

The insurance company say that I have the option of paying them the €825. I have full no claims discount protection that allows for a single unlimited claim in a 3 year period (excess is €190).

Is there any benefit to reimbursing the insurance company in this instance, as my NCD remains unaffected?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am confused now. I thought I could settle it directly before, but now that an accident has been recorded I would have to declare it for future insurance quotes regardless of whether a claim was paid or not?

Re: Should I reimburse insurance company if I have full no claims discount protection

I would leave the claim go through. By doing so it does mean you may limit your choice of companies that you can go to next year, but if you get a very good quote from someone else next year, you could always pay back the claim then.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Re: Should I reimburse insurance company if I have full no claims discount protection

Thanks Jimbob. I'm with a broker for my insurance. I assume that they will still be able to get good quotes for me even if it is not with the same insurer. Would that be a fair assumption?

Also, is there any time limit on my option to pay back the insurer? i.e. will it still be an option to pay them back at renewal time?

Thanks a lot!

B

You will probably need to check with your insurer, but we've never had an insurer refuse to accept a claim refund. You also need to make sure that your insurer will indemnify you if the 3rd party comes back and makes a personal injury claim (which they can do up to 3 years later).

www.powerinsurances.ie

Jimbobp:

they now only have two years, NOT 3, from date of accident, date of whenthey realised they were injured or two years from 18th birthday to make the injury claim.

Back