Health Insurance Should I pay more for health insurance for more outpatient cover?

Mocame

My health insurance policy is due for renewal soon and I have reconsidered my cover because last year I found out I had developed a medical condition which requires me to visit a consultant twice a year and will do so for the foreseeable future. This condition is treatable as an outpatient and won't require hospitalisation but is a long term condition.

I enjoyed good health up to now and had never felt the need to pay for expensive health insurance. I currently am on Laya's 500 Flex Explore plan which has good hospital cover but poor outpatient cover. In view of my diagnosis is it worth upgrading my policy for better outpatient cover? Or will I never manage to claim back the additional insurance costs from my outpatient fees?

The problem with your current plan is that the excess is €150.
It entitles you to €40 per consultant visit.
So you would have to have 4 consultant visits per year to get any money back.

If you are paying tax then you would be entitled to 20% tax credit rebate on the cost of your consultant visits.
So if your consultant costs are e.g. €200 x 2 = €400, then you would get €80 back.

If you are thinking of switching to an alternative plan you need to look for one with no excess \ €1 excess on outpatient cost.

LAYA do offer plans where there is e.g. 50% back on consultant visits, as well as GP visits, with €1 excess but they will be more expensive than your current plan e.g. Simply Connect

Thinking again about this... if you paid extra €250 per year to switch to simply connect, in the long run this will probably work to your advantage.

You will get refunds on consultant visits, GPs, routine dentist, prescription glasses to balance out this €250.

And should anything happen in the year for which you need scan etc Simply Excess has lower excess \ co-payments.
You would have a better health insurance plan at almost neutral cost to yourself.

Plus to bear in mind there’s the 2 yr waiting period for any upgrade in cover for existing conditions.

Back