Should I make use of the SCSB relief for my redundancy payment

newirishman

A friend of mine (47 years) is being made redundant at end of year. 16.3 yrs of service, 5 weeks (2 statutory + 3 weeks voluntary) redundancy payment.
There is also a company pension (DC), with a current value of around 240K. Projected (I know!) max lump sum payment at retirement (normal retirement date: 2040) around 190K, so under the current 200K tax free threshold.

The rough numbers are:
- total redundancy payout value: 150K of which are
- taxable after standard exemption: 55.8K
- taxable when including SCSB relief: 27.5K
So with a 52% taxation rate, we are talking about a net payout difference of around 13.5K
(The numbers are correct, and confirmed by payroll and tax people (KPMG) - the company has been doing redundancies now for a while)

We are wondering now:
1) is it better to make use of the additional SCSB relief now and lose the tax-free lump sum at retirement benefit (so get 13K more payment) or
2) don't use the SCSB relief and keep the tax-free lump-sum benefit for retirement

My friend doesn't need the additional 13K at this point, so the money would end up on some savings account / investment / next pension / etc. for the foreseeable future.

Furthermore, my friend will continue to work and continue to contribute to a pensions scheme (maybe will take a 3 month break before starting new job).
Also, it is likely that he will not stay in Ireland beyond 2030, so will certainly not retire whilst living or being tax resident in Ireland.

So what do now?
I guess the big question is the tax situation in 2040, as well as if any tax-free benefits will also be in place if he lives in a different country.

Appreciate any thoughts.

increased/standard exemption and SCSB are three different calculations. Waiving right to tax free lump sum is something else.
they can ask for the SCSB calc with and without the waiving of the tax free lump sum. You don’t waive SCSB relief.

increased/standard exemption and SCSB are three different calculations. Waiving right to tax free lump sum is something else.
they can ask for the SCSB calc with and without the waiving of the tax free lump sum. You don’t waive SCSB relief.
Fine, thanks for more accurately describing the technicalities. The wording on the Revenue side is not really straightforward.

Your response does not a such provide input to the question though: waive the tax free lump sum now or not?

Take the higher payment and transfer the pension to a PRSA and the waived right disappears. They can then get the tax free lump sum from their pension in the future as well as the enhanced payment now.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Hi Steven, are there any downsides to waiving the rights and transferring to a PRSA after the fact? Such as the PRSA provider being the same as the Occupational Scheme provider. Seems like a loophole!

What circumstances would you not waive the lump sum (assuming >10 years to retirement)?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hi Steven, are there any downsides to waiving the rights and transferring to a PRSA after the fact? Such as the PRSA provider being the same as the Occupational Scheme provider. Seems like a loophole!

What circumstances would you not waive the lump sum (assuming >10 years to retirement)?

Thanks,
It is a loophole. And until the Revenue close it, there is no issue in using it. You may have to have a cert of comparison carried out. This costs €1,230 but getting a future tax free lump sum will make it worth it.

you always have to look at the figures and make the decision based on what they are. Also, personal circumstances may have a baring. I do not have a list of circumstances when you do or don't.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

It is a loophole. And until the Revenue close it, there is no issue in using it. You may have to have a cert of comparison carried out. This costs €1,230 but getting a future tax free lump sum will make it worth it.

you always have to look at the figures and make the decision based on what they are. Also, personal circumstances may have a baring. I do not have a list of circumstances when you do or don't.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Appreciate that, thanks for the input. In my wife's case. I think the NPV of the Lump Sum exceeds the SCSB calc. So it would make sense to waive and transfer, less a potential fee (she has >20Y to retirement).

Can you retire a PRSA at age 50, get 25% tax free lump sum and then the rest in an ARF too?

Back