Should I invest in shares pre or post Brexit?

WackoJacko

I am hoping to invest my money from the tracker scandal and was thinking of investing a lump sum in shares. Having no experience in this field i would appreciate any advice given. Or different investment options. Will pre or post Brexit make a massive difference?

Having no experience in this field i would appreciate any advice given.

A better option might be to use the redress/compensation payment to pay down your mortgage or to increase contributions to your pension where applicable.

A better option might be to use the redress/compensation payment to pay down your mortgage or to increase contributions to your pension where applicable.

I have advised BOI to keep taking the current amount out of my account (€200 extra) and this reduces my term by 7 years as it currently stands. If I pay off the lump sum (€10k estimation) it only reduces by 2 years. So I was hoping I could invest right and maybe increase this amount to payoff as a lump sum in the future, all going well.

So I was hoping I could invest right and maybe increase this amount to payoff as a lump sum in the future, all going well.
That's really the same thing as borrowing money to invest in shares - not generally a good idea outside of a tax advantaged pension vehicle.

So @Sarenco you would recommend paying it off my mortgage balance, nothing else I could double my buck on (I know risk etc)? I've never had a lump sum before that I could possible make something on, I feel like i'd be missing the boat if I just gave it back to the bank. I can't see myself being in this position again. I don't have a pension.

I don't have a pension.
Well maybe you should think about starting one!

My suggestion would be to use the lump sum to reduce your mortgage payments (you don't have to reduce the term) and use the additional cash flow to start funding a pension.

Ok thanks. I appreciate the advice but I don't believe in pensions (Not looking for a debate on the subject )

Subscribe to eggcoin. Available at par for a short period. https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threa...ncies-cremeegg-bank-to-launch-eggcoin.206364/

Not looking for a debate but could you share your thinking on the subject?
I'd like to understand this as well. I'm Australian so a pension was compulsory for me, but I don't understand why somebody would say 'immediate tax relief of 40% and tax-free earnings? NO THANK YOU'.