Should i get a UK pension.

Cobra

Hi , I was employed (paye)in England from 1968 to 1988. Have worked in Ireland since 1988 and still employed. Although im not due to retire for 4 years more. Can anyone tell me if i will get any pension from England, or anyone out there in a similar situtation. Would be greatfull for any info!!!!

From what I understand, you can't get a full pension from UK and Ireland, even if you qualify for both. They would each pay you a fraction of their full pension depending on the UK/total years and Irish/total years.
The full UK state pension at the moment is about £97, and full Irish €230, so you would actually get less by bringing in the UK years.

That is not the case! You can get a pension from both as long as they are contributory. 20 years of contributions in the UK means you will get 20/30ths of the pension (20/30 of £97) which is about £60 per week when you retire, as it stands for you at the moment. You may also get credits in the UK back to the age of 16 which may give you another few years and you can pay - approx £600 per year to buy the last few years back to about 2004 and the next few years until you reach retirement age. Once you have 30 years of contributions, this is the maximum you need so there is no advantage in buying more. Contact the pensions office for a pension forecast using the link above.

Jano: Your information was very helpfull: Have downloaded form and posted: Will see how i get on and take it from there: You seem to know your stuff: Thanks.

If you started work in Ireland in 1988 (and paid your first PRSI payment then) and have an unbroken record right up to retirement you may be entitled to a full rate of Irish pension (E230 p/w).
You can obtain your PRSI records from the PRSI records section, just to clarify your situation.
As a previous poster has said you can also get a record and forecast from the UK pension service. Hope you still have your NI number. If not give as much detail as possible (name and any other names you may have been know as, all addresses and employments, dates etc.)
This may take some time but as you say you have 4 years to go you could be checking it out now

I was wondering if there is any way i can source how many insurance contrabutions i have paid in the UK, like i can in Ireland!!!!!!

Also you must remember that if you are still working in the UK they will take into account all incomes and it will be taxed but I am not sure if about how Ireland works.

You will get a UK tax credit that covers the pension, so pay no UK tax ( if the state pension is your only UK income). The UK pension could still be taxed here, if you are above the exemption limit.

You will get a UK tax credit that covers the pension, so pay no UK tax ( if the state pension is your only UK income). The UK pension could still be taxed here, if you are above the exemption limit.
This is something new to me, not more tax, can we ever escape it!!!!!!!!!! What is the exemption limit for a married couple?

I wont come near the tax bracket anyway.Ive looked through all the answers above, and now i have a fair idea how ill be fixed for retirement. All that info was very helpfull. Just wait to hear from uk now!!!!!!!! Thanks again guys for the info.

Back