Should I get a mechanic's report?

pingin

After a long search, I've managed to find a secondhand car that I'm happy with and that fits my budget.

It's just over five years old, with 60,000 miles on the clock.

I'm buying from a main dealer. They're offering a one year warranty. Judging from a test drive on Saturday, everything seems fine. The car is in very good condition.

However, many web sites recommend that you get a mechanic to inspect your car before purchase. The salesman seemed surprised when I mentioned to him that I wanted have an inspection carried out.

Should I just take the dealer's word and the warranty as a guarantee?

By bringing a mechanic along to check out the vehicle, it puts some of the onus back on you should any problems arise, and the dealer wants to act the maggot..

You brought a professional along, he said everything was fine, now you say you have a problem with it...

I personally don't feel the need to when buying from a main dealer.

That's a very good point LS400. I don't really know anybody who's brought a mechanic along.

It was going to be a mechanic from a car-check service, so they'd have to introduce themselves.

It is probably not all parts\repairs though or it will say something about wear and tear. e.g. you alloy cracks, it wont be covered. Or your wiper arm breaks, proabably wont be covered.

It is probably not all parts\repairs though or it will say something about wear and tear. e.g. you alloy cracks, it wont be covered. Or your wiper arm breaks, proabably wont be covered.
I suppose that would be fair enough, since that would be normal wear and tear.

I suppose that would be fair enough, since that would be normal wear and tear.

Sounds like you know what to expect in a warranty so but it would be no harm getting the written confirmation of whats in the warranty. I had corrosion on my newish alloys which I thought would be covered but it wasn't. Paint corrosion on the metal panels would be covered.

Just dont let them sell you on a great warranty that might not cover what you assume.

Sounds like you know what to expect in a warranty so but it would be no harm getting the written confirmation of whats in the warranty. I had corrosion on my newish alloys which I thought would be covered but it wasn't. Paint corrosion on the metal panels would be covered.

Just dont let them sell you on a great warranty that might not cover what you assume.
Yes, I do want to get it in writing.

Back