Should I fix boiler prior to selling house?

I have knocked 40k off the purchase price already!!!

Is this because the market is in decline?? If so maybe installing a new boiler might be a good investment. Or upgrading the attic insulation.

The caveat Buyer Beware is a disgrace. If somebody knows that the product they are selling is not of saleable quality surely they should point this out from the beginning.

If you buy a barbeque from any hardware and it doesnt work you get a refund. What genius thought that buyer beware was a good idea?? Sure "Buyer declare" is a much fairer system

I think I saw on another thread that when selling the vendor has to stipulate anything major that's wrong. If Art sells his house with central heating and it is later found defective, the buyer may have a comeback.

Ona practical note its beginning to get very cold and no heat for a few days will lead to a very cold house. A very cold house would put me off!

I think I saw on another thread that when selling the vendor has to stipulate anything major that's wrong.

I have never heard of this, are you sure? Can you find the thread?

I've seen so many older properties where there's no way the vendor could even begin to stipulate everything major that needs fixing.
On many executor sales, the vendor doesn't have a clue what condition the property is in.

Wheres the fairness in selling a house with a dodgy heating system??

What about the fairness of selling a house that needs to be rewired? Houses are sold requiring all kinds of repair. There's no guarantee or money back offer.

What about the fairness of selling a house that needs to be rewired? Houses are sold requiring all kinds of repair. There's no guarantee or money back offer.

I think what's getting people's backs up is the OP's apparent hope that he'll in some way "get away with it" or it just won't be noticed. With full disclosure, a price on the job, and an indication that the price has already dropped significantly, that's an entirely different story. A little savvy marketing, and it can even be presented as a great bargain.

I can't find anything on specific obligations to disclose issues like that, though I suppose there could be something in the Law Society Requisitions on Title. Any of the solicitors around know that?

I think what's getting people's backs up is the OP's apparent hope that he'll in some way "get away with it" or it just won't be noticed.
That is not at all apparent from the original post:
The gas boiler in a house that I am hoping to sell is totally bankjaxed and as a result the heating is not working. I had a plumber out this morning and he informed me that the whole thing would have to be replaced at a cost of €1500. I am just wondering if I should bother replacing it given the cost involved. I am aware that the surveyor will almost certainly pick this up during the course of the survey but surely this will not cause the entire sale to fall through? The rest of the house is in very good condition.

I have never heard of this, are you sure? Can you find the thread?

I've seen so many older properties where there's no way the vendor could even begin to stipulate everything major that needs fixing.
On many executor sales, the vendor doesn't have a clue what condition the property is in.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=40181

I think it's taken for granted that older properties might need rewiring or re-plumbing etc. The problem arises when the house looks fine, the purchaser is lead to believe it's fine but later finds out something which should have been disclosed.

That is not at all apparent from the original post:

"I am aware that the surveyor will almost certainly pick this up during the course of the survey but surely this will not cause the entire sale to fall through?"

- emphasis added, but I think that's why one might have interpreted a hope to get away with something. I did say apparent hope, not having particularly taken that view myself. Nonetheless, point taken and I trust OP has not taken offence.

The problem arises when the house looks fine, the purchaser is lead to believe it's fine but later finds out something which should have been disclosed.

How it looks is irrelevant. Plenty of older houses look great but take a fortune to sort out.

The problem arises when the house looks fine, the purchaser is lead to believe it's fine but later finds out something which should have been disclosed.
That's why buyers should always get a good detailed structural survey done especially on second hand properties. It's not the vendor's job to point out things that may need remedial work although some may do for their own reasons.

How it looks is irrelevant. Plenty of older houses look great but take a fortune to sort out.

Agreed. I didn't mean only to go on looks...it's when vendor has assured a potential buyer that there are no major problems and, according to the aforementioned thread, they have stated in writing, on the form supplied to buyer's solictor, that all is ok, I think a buyer might have a comeback. Personally, I'd have all the necessary surveys done.

Back