Should I fix boiler prior to selling house?

FWIW, a suvery I had carried out recently recommended getting additional electrical and plumbing surveys, so I wouldn't be sure that a building surveyor would catch a faulty boiler.

Yes-let's hope those who steal broadband and evade stamp duty also experience karma.

1. I didn't evade stamp duty.

2. It was sharing broadband.

3. I was neither hurting or taking anyone for a ride. :D

I have morals. Unlike some of the "clients" on here.

The gas boiler in a house that I am hoping to sell is totally bankjaxed and as a result the heating is not working. I had a plumber out this morning and he informed me that the whole thing would have to be replaced at a cost of €1500. I am just wondering if I should bother replacing it given the cost involved. I am aware that the surveyor will almost certainly pick this up during the course of the survey but surely this will not cause the entire sale to fall through? The rest of the house is in very good condition.

I don't think they check this unless there is oil in the boiler.
A friend of mine recently bought a house only to discover not only was the boiler out of service - not only had it NEVER worked (despite the house being rented out for 2 years by its previous owner) - but most of the boilers in the location were also wired incorrectly on installation and so didn't work.

Incredible as it may seem - an entire estate was built with faulty boiler installations! Plumber said he'd made a fortune out here and whoever installed them had made a haims of it.

I have seen a number of snag lists prepared by a number of different companies. On one no key to a window was available. This was stated on sheet. For the cost of a snag list a surveyor cant be expected to wait an hour to check if the heating is working ok.

I find this whole thread rather disturbing.

Yes, there is a good chance the surveyor will not check that the heating is working. The buyers will probably assume it is in order.

However - this is very dishonest and a fairly major fault with a house IMO. Heating is important and its very unfair to let a buyer move in and have no working heating.

If I were you I would inform any interested buyers that the heating is not in operation but that you are willing to offer a sum towards the repair. Do the right thing - this isnt like a mark on the wall or scratch on the floor - heating is fairly essential.

Back