Should I be a God mother?

stano

My sister has asked me to be God-mother to her new baby, she has asked me each time she has had a baby, this is her 3rd. I've always said no as I don't believe in any of it. Think I might do it this time, we are close as sisters and if she wants me to so it this badly maybe I should.
I have 3 kids myself and didn't go down this road with them as I don't believe in it. My husband and I didn't marry in a church as we are both of the same mind in this regard.
My sister knows all this and doesn't mind, said the people who were god parents for her first 2 are never in contact, so she isn't really expecting a triditional role from me.

Feel a little confused by it all now.

I think Godparents are there to assist the parents in bringing up their child. Id say traditionally it means to bring them up with regards to religon. If something was to happen to the parents then the godparents take over.
What do you mean you dont believe in any of it? Religon? Im not a big fan of organised religon i.e. the Catholic Church, but if asked to be a Godfather i wouldnt think twice. And if God forbid, anything happened the parents I would assist by all means possible to ensure the child was reared properly and to the wishes of the parents.
I have two children and when asking the Godparents, i had that in mind.
Some people these days ask friends but it can be too easy to lose touch with people and I'd always opt for family members as they arent so easy to lose contact with.

I know where you're coming from but you don't really have to believe in it to accept. You're sister is just asking that you provide for the child in the event anything may happen to her and her husband. If this is something you don't mind doing then tell her you will look after the child. If you don't want to or wouldn't be able to, then tell her this also.

As redbhoy states, I think the old tradition of passing on religious values etc is gone. It's purely to give your sister piece of mind that the kids wil be well looked after.

I'm also not a fan of religion or the church or any of that nonsense but I would definately become a god-parent to one of my siblings kids.

Unless you're religious, which I'm not, I think the main duty (and I speak from costly experience :)) when you're a Godparent is buying bigger than usual Xmas and birthday presents - and that's about it. So I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I'd go for it, and wouldn't worry about it either. Became a godparent recently despite not being particularly religious. During the ceremony I had to say something a bit bizarre like "I promise to reject Satan", but unless you happen to be a devil worshiper, I can't see how that would be uncomfortable for you.
Other than that, there were no requirements to make promises like "I believe in one god, the father almighty, maker of heaven and earth ..." (I'm sure you know how it goes), or anything else really.

You wrote that you are 'close' and she understands you're not going to take care of the child's religious faith.

I was always under the impression that being asked to be a godparent is an honour. She is trusting you to be there for her child.

Unless you're unwilling to do that, I can't see any reason why someone would refuse.

There can be a bit of extra expense involved but I'm sure you could single the child out for a bit of extra attention (by including in days out with your own kids etc) if that was a problem.

I am not religious at all and last year I became a godmother twice. Both sets of parents know that I wouldn't set foot in a church unless it's for a funeral and maybe a wedding but they know that I'll get good presents for the kids and look after them if anything happens to the parents.

And I got a present and card for "god"mothers day on Sunday :)

I know where you're coming from but you don't really have to believe in it to accept.
If the child is being christened in a church then a Godparent should believe in what they are promising, so I don't believe this is actually true.
As redbhoy states, I think the old tradition of passing on religious values etc is gone.
I disagree as a Godmother myself. If someone does not believe I don't see why they want to do it.
why is your sister is not having a naming ceremony instead if none of the participants actually believe in what they are doing?
If a parent dies (God forbid) a God parent does not have the legal right as next of kin. As far as I know.

Unless you're religious, which I'm not, I think the main duty (and I speak from costly experience :)) when you're a Godparent is buying bigger than usual Xmas and birthday presents - and that's about it. So I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I agree 100%. I'm a godparent to a friends child. I don't have children myself and don't want any (my friends now this). If anything were to happen to my friends I know that their family members (with their own children) would be much better for my godchild. I think the whole concept of "taking someone's children" if anything happens is crazy. If I'm not going to have my own children I certainly won't take on anyone elses.

I think the whole concept of "taking someone's children" if anything happens is crazy

It's not at all crazy - all parents should ensure that they have documented in their wills who they wish to have guardianship of their child or children in the event of their untimely death. This should of course be first discussed with the people themselves.

God parents have no legal role in relation to guardianship - it is a purely religious tradition.

As kildrought says - being a godparent is purely a religious concept. It has no standing in law as far as I know, and if both parents were to drop dead there is NIL chance of the god parents being allowed keep/mind/raise/whatever the children unless they are close family and even then this chance arises because they are family, not because they are godparents.

Think about it . . . two god parents who aren't related in any way raising a child. Where's the logic in that ? Which house would they live in, etc . . .

If this (Godparents raising children) actually was the case I think there would be a big market in godparent-insurance. Imagine suddenly acquiring a family with food/accommodation/education requirements for the next 15 years.

Your sister is presumably looking for some level of comfort/concern/involvement from you, but if she is looking for guardianship (which I doubt) then god parenting is not the way to go.

z

If the child is being christened in a church then a Godparent should believe in what they are promising, so I don't believe this is actually true.
If the Godparent is promising to bring the child up as a practicing Roman Catholic (or whatever) then yes they should believe in what they do. But my point was that if you don't believe, and are just promising to look after the child you don't have to believe in the religious part.
I disagree as a Godmother myself. If someone does not believe I don't see why they want to do it.
Because the child still needs to be looked after, given a roof over their head, whether the Godparent believes in God/Religion or not.

It's not at all crazy - all parents should ensure that they have documented in their wills who they wish to have guardianship of their child or children in the event of their untimely death.

This post isn't about wills. I know so many people that are godparents but it's not documented in a will. My point is that is many people that are godparents would not want the responsibility of raising other peoples children. Obviously very different if the children have no other family.

I was always under the impression that being asked to be a godparent is an honour. She is trusting you to be there for her child.

Unless you're unwilling to do that, I can't see any reason why someone would refuse.
There are good reasons why many people might refuse. For example my brother asked me to be godfather to his son but I had to refuse because I am an atheist and would not be willing to make the public religious declarations and meet the undertakings required by this Catholic/Christian ceremony/sacrament/ritual and would consider it hypocritical and insulting to actual believers if I just played along for the sake of it.

There are good reasons why many people might refuse. For example my brother asked me to be godfather to his son but I had to refuse because I am an atheist and would not be willing to make the public religious declarations and meet the undertakings required by this Catholic/Christian ceremony/sacrament/ritual and would consider it hypocritical and insulting to actual believers if I just played along for the sake of it.
I agree. Whatever opinions you may have about the validity of someone’s religious beliefs it is offensive to others and hypocritical to be a Godparent if you don't believe in God (or the God of the religion in question). For the parents to say it’s not really a big deal anymore just shows that they a hypocrites as well.

I didn't realise there were religious ceremonies/vows involved. I thought it was merely a case of someone asking you to be a Godparent.

In that case I would have to agree with you. I too am an atheist and would not be hypocritical by playing along with something I didn't believe.

http://www.corkandross.org/html/sacraments/baptism/baptism_overview.jsp

the Godparent is required to take part in the ceremony as a member of the christian community (catholic baptism)

I didn't realise there were religious ceremonies/vows involved. I thought it was merely a case of someone asking you to be a Godparent.
Normally being invited to be a godparent involves acting as a witness at the sacrament of baptism. In addition one normally makes some commitment to overseeing the child's Christian spiritual/religious upbringing. That is what I was assuming here.

Normally being invited to be a godparent involves acting as a witness at the sacrament of baptism. In addition one normally makes some commitment to overseeing the child's Christian spiritual/religious upbringing. That is what I was assuming here.
So was I.

You should only commit to being a godparent if you can participate & follow through on the promises made at the ceremony & under the Church. The link below, although from a UK website clearly outlines what is required:-

http://www.babyguideuk.com/birth/articles/naming_romancatholic.asp

Being a godparent does mean that you are responsible for the childs religious upbringing should anything happen to its parents. If you are in for any other reason , you are right to question the correctness of it.

Back